Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel System OverPressure 912IS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Fuel System OverPressure 912IS

Regarding the EGT sensor, if I haven't run the engine for 4-5 days when I startup the left side sensor almost always shows the red cross or a very high overtemp condition on my screen. I have learned to ignore it because in a few minutes of warmup it starts reading correctly and stays correct for the rest of the day. I have taken it out and cleaned it and checked the wiring but it has continued to do this for several years now. Probably should replace it; the right side never acts up.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I also have the Kitfox fuel filter manifold and new filter arrangement. I have had the fine filter become clogged and get the high filter warning. I change the filter and all is well. Like Rossir I keep at least spares on hand and on any cross-country trip I carry a spare filter and a spare EGT sensor.

We do keep the filters in stock if you're looking for them.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Thanks John, just ordered them yesterday.

Regarding EGT's, it was a constant issue with the Cirrus. It got so bad that people started ignoring them. But it was easy to dismiss when the EGT would peg out and then drop back in a few seconds.

With the Cirrus it was a connection issue. The connectors were junk. There was a guy who offered a package to replace them. It would usually eliminate the problem.

On the Rotax do they simply fail or is it a connection?

Frustrating.... On Saturday I changed the oil, filter and the fuel filter. I had purchased 3 replacement fuel filters based on good advice here. The original filter seemed to be working OK, but it had a problem prior, so just to be safe (maintenance induced problem coming) I replaced it. A real mess any time the system is pulled apart as there is no way I can see to keep from a lot of fuel spilling. I put the system together with the new filter and checked for leaks. The entry point of the filter would not stop leaking. I tried multiple time to pull it apart and re-seat, no luck. So I pulled another new filter and put it in. It sealed. Threw the other away. The pressure on pump 1 was in the 45 range. Seemed a little high, but in the green. The 2nd pump would put the system in yellow. I flew the plane for a while, running on the single pump one. It ran fine.

Yesterday I took my wife to Fredricksburg for lunch. All was well on the outbound trip. But 10 minutes in to the return the fuel pressure was in and out of yellow. Then it went red and Lane A light and the "land the plane" warning came on. My wife was concerned, but not seeing me get too worried helped her. I had to continually back off of the throttle to keep the RPM's down. I was close enough to my home airport to press on while keeping safety airports in range. I was able to land without a problem and on the ground turned the engine off and back on. The fault had cleared and the fuel pressure was back down to 44.5 or so. I noticed that using the pump 2 rather than 1 brought the pressure down to the middle range. Both pumps on would hit the yellow.

So... I am thinking the filter I had originally been running in the plane may have failed allowing the pressure to go down. The new one seems to just be too fine to allow proper flow. Yes, I could have accumulated trash in that short of time (1hr). But considering I effectively flushed the system multiple times by taking it apart, does not seem likely.

I could just run on pump 2 at the lower pressure and likely be OK. But this just does not seem to be working right. As a safety measure the fuel filter seems to be causing in-flight problems more than solving them. Any one else seeing anything like this? Suggestions?

Just thinking aloud, can you go to a larger sized filter rated for a higher flow rate?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3