Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying kitfox 2 from 1991

Default Buying kitfox 2 from 1991

Hey guys, i´m from Sweden and new to the forum.

I´m pretty excited as i intend to buy a kitfox this week from the builder that completed the plane 1991.
    The plane has about 300 hours on it and has been used up until 2001 when it was put in an hangar for storage and has not been used since.

The plane has always been keept in an hangar and from the pictures i have seen i seems to be in perfect condition.

But then again it has a couple of years on it so my question now concers the fabric that the plane is covered in.

It is covered in cenconite and the work was properly done according to prevoius owner.

I have been trying to read up on the internet and i have found that cenconite if done right and kept from the sun should hold up for life?
    But then some say that 30-40 years and the recovering is needed.

Of cours it all depends on how the plane has been stored and taken care of.

Also any tips in what i should look at when i inspect the plane before buying is highly appreciated.

Default Re: Buying kitfox 2 from 1991

If it's been in the hangar all the time, the fabric is probably just fine. Look to see if there appears to be any bulging of the fabric where it goes over tubes. That could indicate rust under the fabric. Probably not an issue either with a plane that's been hangared most of it's life. If it's a 2 stroke engine, you probably should look at getting it torn down, inspected and have new seals installed in the motor. JImChuk

I'm in line with JimChuck's thinking. In addition, if it was stored without draining fuel, you can expect some additional work to rebuild carbs.

Corrosion will be your worst issue. Check for any evidence of nesting rodents. Their urine can really do a job on aluminum and 4130 steel. Look carefully at the screw threads on the lift strut rod ends for corrosion. It might need some rework in that area.

In general, that age of plane shouldn't be an issue if it's been in dry storage.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I had to replace the fuel tanks in my wings due to the softening of the old fiberglass tanks. It was a couple thousand dollars in parts when I was done and the maintenance had to be done by a good mechanic. I paid. and paid. Now the plane has great tanks and I have flown it about 500 hours since the change.
    happy I did that.

Thanks for all your answers guys, i checked for rust, covering and the tanks and all looked fine....the tanks where aluminium so that was a big plus!

I´driving down to Stockholm tomorrow to get "her" home

I´ll for sure post some pictures!!

Aluminum wing tanks were offered by Avid for a while. Because of the nature of the wings, the constant flexing caused them to crack and leak. This is why fiberglass is still the material being used by Kitfox.

Keep a close eye on them.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Aha, Thanks for the information...the guy have repaired one of the tanks but I don’t know what the cause was!

I will ask for sure!

The Kitfox has been transported 700 km to my home, feels great!. Now some work is needed, fit the engine back, painting, new windows for doors, calibrating instrument and a proper inspection to get here permit that it is airworthy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Peter! When I was trying to think of registrations I had C-FKXK so it would be hard to read. It’s similar to your registration!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Hello Everyone, Happy New Year to all the Kitfox Family on here!
    I am New to this Teamkitfox forum..

Looking at a KitFox as a beginner aircraft.
    Grey head Rotax. Looking to recover the airplane and inspect every nut and bolt... Plane has sat outside neglected unfortunately for 2 years... Plan on doing a full resto on this aircraft. My son is just getting into flying so it will prove to be a good opportunity to spend more time together..

Question, Has anyone upgraded the engine to a 80hp? understanding the C/G specs etc will change but just asking the question.. Secondly has anyone recovered a Kitfox that could possibly share there experiences on how and what to lookout for .. Product to use, etc?

lastly, very nice plane you picked up! would love to see some picture once your done. If I could ask what type of floats do you have?

Thanks in advance for any info!!!!!

Take care everyone...
    look forward to hearing back