Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying kitfox 2 from 1991

Default Re: Buying kitfox 2 from 1991

Welcome Ken. Glad you found us.
    An 80 hp model 2 is doable. SkySteve did a model 1 with 80 hp. Makes a good performer too.
    Hopefully he can shed some light on the process. He made mods to rudder and vertical stabilizer for better handling characteristics before final covering also that worked out very well.

Recovering can be done with your choice of multiple fabric systems today that work on the Kitfox. The most common is the PolyFiber system which is the most likely fabric system found on aircraft from the early days and models like you are looking at.

Stewart’s system is another complete fabric covering option. Similar to the PolyFiber system but without the toxic chemicals found in PolyFiber products. Covering can even be done in doors without the use of respirators.

The third system is called Oratex. It also is a non-toxic system with no painting with exception of your fiberglass cowling pieces, metal fairings, fiberglass wingtips ect. Oratex is pretty popular system now.

All systems have their own specific application techniques so do your homework and chose the one that fits your fancy.
    Best of luck with your project.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Buying kitfox 2 from 1991!

Thanks DesertFox4!
    Really appreciate the info.. seems like I have more questions then answers unfortunately!
    Any idea of floats that may match up to a Kitfox 2?
    I also heard of owners swapping the engine out for a 670? especially if utilizing floats..

Not sure if I should start a new Thread or just continue with this one?

Greatly appreciate the info.. I am always happy to help anyone so the replies don't go unappreciated that's for sure..
    Thanks!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Welcome Ken. Glad you found us.
    An 80 hp model 2 is doable. SkySteve did a model 1 with 80 hp. Makes a good performer too.
    Hopefully he can shed some light on the process. He made mods to rudder and vertical stabilizer for better handling characteristics before final covering also that worked out very well.

Recovering can be done with your choice of multiple fabric systems today that work on the Kitfox. The most common is the PolyFiber system which is the most likely fabric system found on aircraft from the early days and models like you are looking at.

Stewart’s system is another complete fabric covering option. Similar to the PolyFiber system but without the toxic chemicals found in PolyFiber products. Covering can even be done in doors without the use of respirators.

The third system is called Oratex. It also is a non-toxic system with no painting with exception of your fiberglass cowling pieces, metal fairings, fiberglass wingtips ect. Oratex is pretty popular system now.

All systems have their own specific application techniques so do your homework and chose the one that fits your fancy.
    Best of luck with your project.

Default Re: Buying kitfox 2 from 1991

Ken, the two stroke engines are not in my wheel house at all. I’ve flown over 30 different Kitfox aircraft and coincidently, every model with exception of a model 2, but not one minute behind a two stroke yet. A 670 equipped model 2 would be a good performer on floats as would the 80 hp. four stroke Rotax powered model 2.
    Many more qualified folks on these forums for two stroke information and also floats but I would think floats for a model 2 are likely more easily found than for the later heavier models. I would think 950 lbs to 1100 lbs. rated floats would work. Maybe even 1100 lbs. may be slightly big. Do a search of this site and the web for floats for the Kitfox. Several manufacturers should have something for your Kitfox.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear