Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs

Default Spark plugs

The pictured spark plug is from my 912s. The plugs have about 80 hours on them with almost all 100LL. I used Daclin at every fill. Just curious is that a normal amount of lead build up? Can I sand blast the plug and reuse them? The engine is running great even with the buildup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Spark plugs

New plugs are SO cheap. We are all flying 50 to 90 thousand dollar equipment over mostly hostile terrain.
    Why skimp on plugs?

On a related issue. Today I flew through the Rogers Pass on the way home from Alberta.
    Very smoky all the way. High winds above 8000 so stayed around 55 to 6500.
    Anyway on run up in at my friends farm strip one module acted up. Seems a plug wire had fallen off a lower plug. Never happened before but it might be a good idea to check more often.
    Cheers Don

Looks like a smokey flight Don. We actually had ash falling from the sky last night it was so bad here in Lethbridge.
    On the spark plugs I always buy new. Someone had just mentioned I should just blast and use again. Was wondering what others were doing. I'm like you. Why risk my self and my Kitfox for a few dollars of spark plugs.
    fly safe.

Hi Mic
    I almost got down your way this trip. Would have liked to get caught up on your epic adventure. Just ran out of time.
    I did greet the Vimy boys in Hanna of all places. That was quite an adventure across Canada in VW powered Newport replicas from WW1. The wind was about 20+ knots that day.

Hi Mic,

Yes, I am always amused when I see folks trying to save a couple $$ on spark plugs and Rotax oil filters when they spend more than $40,000 for a plane. We only get one ride in this rodeo, better have a good saddle and a sound plan.

How was the harvest?

Jim

Replace.

One thing I have found is when the spark plug time is between 75 and 100 hours, the engine gets harder to start.......not bad, but I can tell. That's when I replace the plugs. I also run 100LL and decalin. As said before, plugs are cheap......buy them in bulk, and don't waste your time refurbishing....unless you enjoy that type of thing.....with beer.😉
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS

Jim
    Harvest went well, have gone none stop since I got home. Finally got a 3.5 hr flight in today with the new spark plugs.

Hi Mic
    Glad to hear you had a good harvest. Great weather for it.
    I even made a few rounds in the combine. Quite different from when I was a kid.
    Another spark plug pic. 120 hours 912 UL using marked non ethanol premium fuel. 100 'LL only when traveling.
    Cheers
    Don

Plugs are cheap, but it is also very easy to clean them

I keep a brass wire brush on one of my bench grinders. It just takes a few seconds to clean a plug.

On trips, I have to burn 100LL like every one else, so I usually change oil and filters every 25 hours. I keep an extra set of cleaned plugs so when I change oil, I put the cleaned plugs in, and take the dirty ones home to wire brush and check the gap.

Seem a shame to throw away good plugs just cause they are dirty.

Rodney