Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spark plugs

The pictured spark plug is from my 912s. The plugs have about 80 hours on them with almost all 100LL. I used Daclin at every fill. Just curious is that a normal amount of lead build up? Can I sand blast the plug and reuse them? The engine is running great even with the buildup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Spark plugs

New plugs are SO cheap. We are all flying 50 to 90 thousand dollar equipment over mostly hostile terrain.
    Why skimp on plugs?

On a related issue. Today I flew through the Rogers Pass on the way home from Alberta.
    Very smoky all the way. High winds above 8000 so stayed around 55 to 6500.
    Anyway on run up in at my friends farm strip one module acted up. Seems a plug wire had fallen off a lower plug. Never happened before but it might be a good idea to check more often.
    Cheers Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a smokey flight Don. We actually had ash falling from the sky last night it was so bad here in Lethbridge.
    On the spark plugs I always buy new. Someone had just mentioned I should just blast and use again. Was wondering what others were doing. I'm like you. Why risk my self and my Kitfox for a few dollars of spark plugs.
    fly safe.

Hi Mic
    I almost got down your way this trip. Would have liked to get caught up on your epic adventure. Just ran out of time.
    I did greet the Vimy boys in Hanna of all places. That was quite an adventure across Canada in VW powered Newport replicas from WW1. The wind was about 20+ knots that day.

Hi Mic,

Yes, I am always amused when I see folks trying to save a couple $$ on spark plugs and Rotax oil filters when they spend more than $40,000 for a plane. We only get one ride in this rodeo, better have a good saddle and a sound plan.

How was the harvest?

Jim

Replace.

Jim
    Harvest went well, have gone none stop since I got home. Finally got a 3.5 hr flight in today with the new spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    Hi Mic,

Yes, I am always amused when I see folks trying to save a couple $$ on spark plugs and Rotax oil filters when they spend more than $40,000 for a plane. We only get one ride in this rodeo, better have a good saddle and a sound plan.

How was the harvest?

Jim
    I used to work on corporate jets, The annual/Phase 4 inspections were about 150,000 or more. we had owners not blink at $150,000 for an inspection then argue the price on a $20 part.

Yeah, I would like to have their bank account as a result too. That is likely why they have $150K available to do the work in the first place. When NGK plugs were the prescribed plug and all was good, why would I need to pay 5X the price because it is labeled differently? Rotax is obviously not differentiating between what they sell for their certified engine and what is fine in their experimental engine. I don't need to pay certified prices for my engine as it is not certified. No problem here spending money when it is warranted.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Larry. I happened to note that those NGK plugs are what is in the Rotax Parts list of Old. Not that old but they have since started putting their name on the side of what is likely the same plug. I have just ordered my new NGK plugs from AS&S.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X