Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark plugs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Spark plugs

Hi Mic
    I almost got down your way this trip. Would have liked to get caught up on your epic adventure. Just ran out of time.
    I did greet the Vimy boys in Hanna of all places. That was quite an adventure across Canada in VW powered Newport replicas from WW1. The wind was about 20+ knots that day.

Hi Mic,

Yes, I am always amused when I see folks trying to save a couple $$ on spark plugs and Rotax oil filters when they spend more than $40,000 for a plane. We only get one ride in this rodeo, better have a good saddle and a sound plan.

How was the harvest?

Jim

Replace.

Eddie, there are many, many of us staying with the tried and true NGK plugs.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim
    Harvest went well, have gone none stop since I got home. Finally got a 3.5 hr flight in today with the new spark plugs.

Hi Mic
    Glad to hear you had a good harvest. Great weather for it.
    I even made a few rounds in the combine. Quite different from when I was a kid.
    Another spark plug pic. 120 hours 912 UL using marked non ethanol premium fuel. 100 'LL only when traveling.
    Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plugs are cheap, but it is also very easy to clean them

I keep a brass wire brush on one of my bench grinders. It just takes a few seconds to clean a plug.

On trips, I have to burn 100LL like every one else, so I usually change oil and filters every 25 hours. I keep an extra set of cleaned plugs so when I change oil, I put the cleaned plugs in, and take the dirty ones home to wire brush and check the gap.

Seem a shame to throw away good plugs just cause they are dirty.

Rodney

Okay, a follow on to the issues. I pulled my plugs and found them to be the NGK plugs. This engine was delivered from the factory with these plugs. I first bought replacements at Aircraft Spruce and found them to be the incorrect model of the correct part. Only one model has the metal top that will unscrew and leave you with the threaded post that is required. It is my understanding that NGK chose to not accept the liability for aviation use so now they have a big red X over an airplane and a trike right on the box. Problem with this was they were still manufacturing plugs for an aircraft engine manufacturer so... they quit Rotax. So, either they have actually quit, or they manufacture the plug ( or someone else does ) and label it as a Rotax manufactured part and up the price 10 fold to cover the liability.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Dave S- no matter new or used or whatever brand, I have always checked the resistance of the center conductor ( should be 5K ohms on these)
    Thanks Dave for this. 👍. Will be checking every new spark plug in the future. Added it to my iPAD notes on regular Rotax 912 ULS maintenance.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    Hi Mic,

Yes, I am always amused when I see folks trying to save a couple $$ on spark plugs and Rotax oil filters when they spend more than $40,000 for a plane. We only get one ride in this rodeo, better have a good saddle and a sound plan.

How was the harvest?

Jim
    I used to work on corporate jets, The annual/Phase 4 inspections were about 150,000 or more. we had owners not blink at $150,000 for an inspection then argue the price on a $20 part.