Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: VFR panel ideas ??

Default Re: VFR panel ideas ??

For me, coffee is usually the greatest need to land airplanes...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Cool. Since you don't need the AOA instrument, you can add another cup holder!

Looks really upscale; I'm also curious on the software you used.
    What about Comm radio, Intercom, ELT, cabin heat controls?
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    (a)Get rid of the silly bottle holder
    A. Have to appease the wife!

(b)You don't need a separate AoA indicator; that'll be on the EFIS
    B. Noted. Though it's rather small on screen, but I'm sure there are audio cues that bring your attention to an AoA problem.

(c)Why (nowadays) have a separate avionics switch? If you don't trust the resilience of modern electronics to handle the start up voltage 'spikes' (which they do) then put something like a TCW IPS behind the panel.
    (d)Nav/Strobes and Landing/Wig Wags could be combined into 2 x 3 position switches
    C, D. Noted. I'll learn more about those things in time.

I wish I didn't have to have backup ASI, altimeter and compass or else your design would almost be my Nirvana
    U.S. experimentals aren't required to have any specific instrumentation correct?

Quote Originally Posted by colospace View Post
    Looks really upscale; I'm also curious on the software you used.
    What about Comm radio, Intercom, ELT, cabin heat controls?
    To all those who asked, this was done in Adobe Illustrator. I've used it for years on the job. I could export some of the parts to use in other programs.

Comm and Audio panel can be remote mounted it seems from Garmin (in theory) in use it may be asking too much to access all this on one screen.

No cabin heat needed in California?

ELT, I see some panels with, others without. Can the interface be mounted elsewhere?

If you look closely in the display you can see where the radio frequencies are located. Touch screen and the radio buttons pop up. The actual radios are remote mounted as he states. If this panel was in my plane I would just have to add a heater control rocker switch and the ELT test/activation control head. That is why glass panels can be so clean. Remote mount everything. Nothing says you have to mount the ELT switch on the panel either, I suppose.

Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    I wish I didn't have to have backup ASI, altimeter and compass or else your design would almost be my Nirvana

In my view, if you only fly daylight VFR, you don't need backup ASI or altimiter. If the EFIS goes dark you can still easily fly a Kitfox by just looking outside. What you probably DO need as a backup is a wet compass; most people need help in flying a heading.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

In my view, if you only fly daylight VFR, you don't need backup ASI or altimiter.
    I agree 100%. Unfortunately both authorities with whom I'm involved (UK and Oz) think otherwise and insist we have these things. The UK even makes a standby compass a mandatory item.....chocolate fire guard springs to mind

As EFWD says, the comm panels hide on the EFIS until you press them and then they enlarge for data entry (or just transfer it from the nav display). It is more than sufficient to not require radio or transponder panels mucking up the nice, clean look. Radios have an intercom built in, so no need for a separate box.

Yep, you can set your AoA indicator to send tones to your headset, so you don't need a large display. Of course you don't absolutely need the AOA but it's a useful feature and if you've got it......well, you know the rest. I'm ex-Royal Navy, so I like the nice, steady tone telling me I'm on-speed.

Coffee gets drunk doing the day job. Coffee gets spilt when I'm playing

912iS for me as well, so: no master switch but the key would act as the master switch and, therefore, provide a bit of security as well. Would obviously need the LANE A, LANE B, Fuel Pump A & Fuel Pump B switches, which is a shame. How about controlling the lights through the EFIS via an electronic circuit breaker? That would get rid of the need for a couple of the switches. Combine that with the 'airborne' switch in the EFIS and you could set it up so you wouldn't have to even turn them on or off.....but obviously have the option to do so.

My OCD would entail hiding the USB ports (perhaps just underneath the panel). I agree with having the functionality available, I just don't want to see the ports and/or the wires.

I like gadgets and I like the look of this panel (minus cup holders)

In my view, if you only fly daylight VFR, you don't need backup ASI or altimiter.
    I agree 100%.

Unfortunately both authorities with whom I'm involved (UK and Oz) think otherwise and insist we have these things. The UK even makes a standby compass a mandatory item.....chocolate fire guard springs to mind

Paul,

I don't think we need to have backup ASI or altimiter in OZ (?). At least nobody told me!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I sure get a kick out of you Oz folk. Had to google that "chocolate fire guard" bit.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon