Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: VFR panel ideas ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: VFR panel ideas ??

Hi Brian - I don't know if this will be helpful... I hope so. I too am building an SS7, and decided from the get-go that I wanted only VFR "old fashioned" steam gauges - plus a few whistles & bells. Keep in mind that I used some relatively expensive individual 1.25" UMA engine monitoring instruments - there are cheaper options. Everything is new. I used mil-spec sealed Honeywell toggle switches, TruTrak Digitrak single-axis autopilot, Garmin com radio and Garmin Mode C Transponder, iFly 740 GPS, uAvionix ADS-B in & out, TruTrak solid-state Pictorial Turn & Bank, etc. Everything, including wire, connectors, etc. was about 10 grand. The bulk of that is in the avionics. I think you could build a basic panel for a lot less than that. I like the looks and the concept of individual gauges and components, and that's why I did it - not because it would be a lot cheaper. It's what I wanted... it just suits me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Steam gauges is what the wife i wanted. Relatively cheap but i dont have a cost for you at this time. Comm and transponder purchased used. Wiring was fairly easy except for the transponder/alt encoder; had to throw $330 to the avionics shop to correct wiring mistakes. Using a 7" tablet for gps and go-pro management.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Ken, that is a beautiful panel. Just the way I would copy you had I seen it and was going steam. Im not very original, my glass is a copy as well.
    Eddie

Great looking panels guys. Congrats. I'd enjoy flying behind all of them.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Ken, that is a beautiful panel. Just the way I would copy you had I seen it and was going steam. Im not very original, my glass is a copy as well.
    Eddie
    Thanks Eddie!
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I agree with Eddie, Ken... it looks really good!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Ken's it what my wife would want. Jim's is almost what I would want (just remote mount the radio, with a built in intercom, and hide a smaller compass elsewhere.....perfect)

I have been asked many times what I would do if my glass panel suddenly went dark since I have no backup gauges. I would simply fly the plane by looking out the window, which is what I do most of the time anyway. I can hold approach speeds pretty close by flying a slight positive AOA by watching the underside of the wing against the horizon. I am a sport pilot so I don't fly at night.

To be honest, I do carry some backups: Sporty's handheld radio w/VOR navigation, some out-of-date paper charts, smartphone with Avare, etc. on it, and maybe soon an iPad with Foreflight.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS