Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 2000 Miles in a Model IV

Default 2000 Miles in a Model IV

I have always dreamed of flying an Canadian Ultralight (AKA Light Sport) across the prairies from my home in Calgary to the place I grew up in Northwestern Ontario. Sioux Lookout Ontario is the base for many great flyIn adventures. During the 30s and 40s it was home to the worlds largest water base airport. The float planes are still very active in the area to transport passengers and cargo to remote locations north. The airport is the second busiest in Northwestern Ontario, second to Thunder Bay.

I thought of doing a slow leisurely trip in my Lil Buzzard seemed right but when I purchased a KitFox project 5 years ago I thought this might be the way to go. Well after a 3 year rebuild and flying C-INJV for 8 months the time was right to make my 1000 mile trip to my hometown.

Here my Model IV affectionatly known as SuperFox is ready to go.

20170726_150745.jpg

The First Stop for the night was outside Regina Sk I flew the trip with my flying buddy and his Savage Cub.
    You Can see a lot of smoke in the air from fires in BC and it stayed with us til past Winnipeg.

20170731_200627.jpg

The owner of the Field we stopped at has just purchased a Maule. Nice Plane.

20170731_204134.jpg

Some of the River valleys near Virden Mb

20170801_095457.jpg

Fuel Stop at Steinbach Mb My Wing man fueling first

20170801_113513.jpg

Got to stop and visit with a fellow teamKitfoxer and take a peak at his plane.

20170801_114714.jpg

Final stop for my Wing man was Kenora On. I spent the night there before heading to Sioux.

20170801_152856.jpg

Our host for the night has a Carbon Cub and winters in the Phoenix area. We have flown above the Arizona dessert many times. Paul has his Cub on floats now and I would get a chance to see the performance of the Carbon Cub on floats the next day.

20170802_054519.jpg

The view from his dock was amazing.

20170802_054524.jpg

But the view from his plane was even better. We went for an early morning flight before I headed to my final destination.

20170802_061450.jpg

Safely on the ground at the Sioux Lookout Airport. I did it. 1000 air miles, about 11.8 hrs airtime.

20170802_113556.jpg

On our way back we left Regina and headed to Lucky Lake Sk but rain in the way made us divert to Craik SK. We put down on a small grass strip and watched as a storm front passed overhead and the wind picked up. We had a few sprinkles on the windshields but over all we were happy we did not fly through the front. Once it passed the wind seemed manageable and the clouds were not dripping so a short hop to Davidson SK was next. It only took a few minutes to make the 15 mile hop north and I hoped that we might be able to resume our way west once there. The weather that I could see expected clearing after Outlook SK. At Davidson the skies seemed lighter to the west so we decided to try the route to Outlook about 60 miles away. The ceilings were low but staying 500ft AGL we stayed below the clouds and could continue to see the ground. As long as we had 3 to 4 miles visability we kept going forward. I remember looking out the wing for my wing man and noticing he had disappeared behind some clouds. We persevered and made it to the grass strip at Outlook.
    20170808_102507.jpg

The final fuel stop on the way home was Kindersly SK. By now the previous 8hr day getting up at 3:45 Alberta time and flying to Regina was taking it's toll, Picking our way through the storm also got my brain rattled. I forgot my Credit Card in the card swipe machine in the fuel depot. They called but I don't answer many calls in the cockpit. They said they would send it in the mail.
    20170808_115951.jpg

This was for me a trip I had dreamed of. The Kitfox performed very well and took me safely over some fairly hostel terrain in the Canadian Shield. The miles over the prairies were easy but as I looked down over Northwestern Ontario, the bush, trees, and lakes with few landing options, any little motor noises caught my attention.

I flew with the Savage Cub on my wing to Kenora and his climb has always been much better with his 100hp than my 80hp. I was not super happy with my KitFox performance and wondered why many give the Savage Cub and Rans S7 bad performance reviews compared to the KitFox.

The week before I left on my trip, I checked a few things on my KitFox and with the aid of a manifold pressure gauge I decided to further check the opening of my carbs. Manifold readings were low. I had converted the plane from a 582 to a 912 and had to change the throttle linkage. I did not realize at the time that maybe I had cut my throttle opening to less than full open. I pulled the carb off with the throttle at full open and found only about a 40% opening of the butterfly. I reworked the linkage before the trip and Wow. It was like I installed a turbo.
    My RPM jumped to 5600 from 5200 on flat pitch with my IVO IFA and you know what that will do for take off performance. My airspeed also went to an easy 115-120 from 95-100mph on level flight. I had KitFox Jim do a fly beside and confirm that my airspeed indicator is reading high but I am still able to cruise an easy 105mph. Now I see why people are so excited about the performance of the KitFox. It is a great little plane easily capable of these little trips. By the way I kept the throttle back for most of the flight to stay with the Savage Cub at about 90-95 True Airspeed. Any faster and the Cub would start to run temps into the yellow.

Great Trip!!!!!!!
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Default Re: 2000 Miles in a Model IV

Great summer trip Norm. Thanks for the ride along. We all need to check off a few bucket list items now and then. Glad too you found the real performance of the model 4/ Rotax 912 combo.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Great trip Norm. I had to laugh though because 3 years ago I did the exact same thing with my credit card in Steinbach, MB. The only problem is I flew a 5 hour leg to North Battle ford and landed with no fuel, no credit card, and no one around to give cash to because it was a holiday long weekend.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Steve I was so envious of your time in Oshkosh with the KitFox team that the only thing that kept me sane was knowing I had this trip planned. I still have to work on the Throttle as I would not come off of about 3500 at Virden on the way in. I had my first motor off landing in the Fox but I only turned it off when I had the runway made for sure. This was a good shakedown cruise for me.
    170hrs on hobbs since Oct 2017 when it first saw air under the wings.

Josh that is funny, but luckily it was my last fuel stop. What did you do? Take fuel on credit and call them back with a number?
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

It was card locked. I thought about pitching a tent for the night and waiting until the morning since I couldn't figure out who to call. About an hour later some 90ish year old drove up and said he knew who I might be able to call and pulled a phone book out of his trunk. Someone came out, I only had US cash which then would only take at par and wanted a call out on top of that. It ended up being the most expensive fuel on my trip. But I got home just as the sun was setting and about 30 min before some major thunderstorms rolled in so it was worth the price after a 30 hour trip to sleep in my own bed I think.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Great trip and pics!

Norm,
    What a great trip and story. Thanks for taking us along!!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos