Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Jacking the spring gear?

Default Jacking the spring gear?

So those that have the newer grove gear, how are you going about jacking for tire changes etc?
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Default Re: Jacking the spring gear?

I used a plywood box with a floor jack on it. Once on a trip I used concrete blocks with a floor jack.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I assume you're just placing it under the flat spot on the gear against one side of the fuselage. With a block of wood to hopefully keep it from slipping. Thing that worries me is the angle of the gear cross member when the tail is down. Guess I'll try it and see how it goes.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

Hi Andy,
    I was fortunate enough to attend the Kitfox fly in this last weekend. Had a great time. I noticed what they were using in the hangar there was a jack stand that stood about a foot or so high that had an adjustable 3/4" ? screw running up through the middle. The top of this screw had a shallow steel box someone welded up and welded to the screw. The footprint of the box was just large enough to accept a hydraulic car jack...nuthin elaborate. A short 2x4 was used on top of the jack placed under the gear which ever side. It would be a good idea to drill (forstner bit) or router out the 2x4 where it meets the top of the jack to prevent slipping.

Here is a pic of John McBean using it. Thanks to one of our members for the shot.
    3899398716_90fe6e568a.jpg
    Last edited by DanB; 09-08-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Smile Re: Jacking the spring gear?

Thanks to all the great ideas you all gave me. I thought I would follow up with what I made. I cut a block of oak to fit under the gear, with a lip on the back side to ensure it won't slip forward. I drilled a pocket hole at an angle with a forstner bit to hold the jack head in. Works great! Next up would be to build a nice plywood box that would be easier to move around than the blocks...

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

Looks good Andy.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

a quick question concerning lifting the air craft,..why coudn't a jack assembly be put atthe strut mount on the wing,..I'm thinking this because it's tough to get down low for some of us,...a set up like a wing jack that met both strut mount points and pivoted on the jack head,..this is a sloppy drawing but gets the point accross
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Re: Jacking the spring gear?

For jacking the Grove spring gear, obtain a Cessna "U" shaped jack pad which simply slides up the gear leg until it stops, then use the jack on the pad jacking point. Note: It is best to line this unit with silicon baffle material prior to sliding up the gear leg, so as not to damage the finish on the gear. Source: ACS p/n 12-00837. Approx. $63.00, but works very well. Paul