Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Carb sync? Never again.

Talking Re: Carb sync? Never again.

2017 1193-1.jpg

2017 1194-1.jpg

2017 1195-1.jpg

Here are some pictures of my balance tube.

The main tube is made from Schedule 40 1.5" PVC.

Bent the tube to match the proper angle (approx 60 degrees) so the 1/2 rubber hose's would fit the existing 3/8" fittings in the intake manifold.

Then I found two 1.25 x 3/4 schedule 20 inserts. Turns out the 3/4 threaded fitting fits the 1/2" fuel tube I used.

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Next, I turned the inserts down to fit inside the Schedule 40 pipe. I couldn't find Sch 40 fittings at my local store so had to use the Sch 20 size and make it fit.

The main pipe is 11" long - then took the pipe and fittings and hose out to the airplane for a final fitting before gluing it all up. Used regular PVC cement for the inserts and screwed the hose into the fittings with clear GE Silicone seal to secure the hose to the inserts.

I think that this could all be built out of Schedule 20 material and instead of bending it, there are 60 degree elbows available. So, maybe two short pieces of 1.5 OR even 1.25 inch PVC with a 60 degree coupling and two inserts with a threaded 3/4" female threads might work. Haven't built one, so am being a little conservative here.

After a 1 hour flight yesterday, I landed, took off the cowling and I could hold the balance tube with my hand. That tells me it isn't getting too hot.

So far, I'm really pleased with the setup. If anyone sees a serious problem, please let me know. I don't know the long term affects of heat on the plastic, but I know it took about 300 degrees of heat to bend the main tube, and it's not getting anywhere near that hot under the cowling. I didn't have to modify the manifolds, just used the existing ports.

I did go back this afternoon and used Kitfox 2009's procedure for balancing the carbs. I hooked a 1/2" fuel tube from one carb to the other, and using the idle adjustment on one carb, got the engine as smooth as I could. Then hooked up the carbmate and balanced at 3500 rpm.

I have about a six hour flight tomorrow, so will report back on how things went. Also, and I haven't really figured this out yet, I can now use my Hacman system to lean the engine. Before the balance tube mod, running anywhere from 5300 to 5600 rpm, as soon as I cracked open the leaning knob, the engine got rough. Could not get any temp rise in the EGT's or decrease fuel flow. A quarter turn was too much. Then, on my first flight after installing the balance tube, I can now lean the engine. I've been trying to get my EGT's up in the 1400 degree range to seat some new oil rings, and I can finally do that.

So far, this has been a really good improvement to the way my engine operates. Nice slow idle (1400 rpm) and I can lean the engine at cruise

Rodney

Default Re: Carb sync? Never again.

Here is another picture of Rodney's install. It shows the cross over tube really well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi Rodney
    Think I might experiment a bit with this as well. Did you just glue in the nipple for your manifold pressure gauge?
    Don

Don. I found a plastic nipple that had a 1/4 pipe thread on it. Drilled a hole in the balance tube, screwed in the nipple and sealed it with silicon seal.

Think I got it at a local farm supply store, but I'm sure there must be other sources too

Thanks Paul for posting a better picture. Appreciate it

Rodney

Update.
    Well today just for fun I made up a larger balance tube for my 912Ul.
    Material required is a 14 inch length of 1 inch heater hose plus two 1inch pieces of 3/4 inch and 2 approx 3 inch pieces of 1/2 inch. 4 hose clamps and 1 Mini hose nipple if you have a manifold pressure gauge.
    Assemble as shown. I used the adhesive in the photo.
    Have not flown yet but runs smoothly through all RPM ranges on the ground test. I realize this only increases the balance tube to 1inch diameter but might be interesting results. Ran smoothly before but maybe even better now!

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks great. Seems like one inch or greater does the job. Sure is nice to sit on the ramp with the idle set at 1200 to 1400 with no shake rattle n roll.

Rodney

Hi Rodney
    Just did a 2 hour low level site seeing trip around our "smoky" valley this morning. With all the fires this year our area is nick named "Smokanagan" now.
    Anyway I have a feeling that the new low budget carb balance tube provides a smoother operation through all RPM ranges. Quite impressed. It`s so easy to make up and the cost is zero.
    Have fun
    Don

Hmm, why do I hear so much about trusting the engineers? Why did they not go with a one inch diameter or why have they not gone back and changed the equipment yet?

Guess this is why USA calls our a/c type "Experimental and we Canadians call them "Homebuilt". Nice,EH!!

Have fun
    Don

Efwd. As Travis Tritt said in one of his songs. "It's all about the money."

Also, seriously, just because they built it, don't assume they know everything.

Too, I've been in meetings where a "junior" engineer proposed a perfectly good inexpensive solution to a problem, only to have the idea rejected by some manager who thought he knew everything.

Could be lots of reasons they didn't put one on.

Rodney