Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 5 Flaperon Hinges

Default Series 5 Flaperon Hinges

For you Series 5 builders ( Series 4 might be similar I'm not sure). I spent a considerable amount of time fabricating the hinges to get the 14 degree angle called for in the manual. When fitting them to the wing, I can get them to the proper position but they have splayed out enough so that fastening them would be quite a job although it could be done. Anyone have a similar problem and come up with an easy cure? I say easy because I'm seriously considering getting the single hinge used on the 7's. Just trying to put the $250 it would cost to another use (like the aluminum header tank). Thanks in advance.

Rick

Default Re: Series 5 Flaperon Hinges

I'm building a 5 and the previous owner was decent enough to have bought the newer (series 7) hinges. If you need some of the older type let me know. i won't be using them.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Jeff

Thanks for the offer. It certainly seems that although many 5's are probably fitted with the older hinges, the design is less than ideal. I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the new design. Much less of a headache.

Rick

Just a heads up if you go ahead with the model 5 hinges. My hinges were manufactured and drilled to fit the wings by the first owner (I bought the plane second hand @ about 20% complete). The hinges lined up well prior to the fabric being installed. After the fabric was on they were challenging to realign with the previously drilled holes. Realize you will have the fabric, reinforcing tapes and several coats of UV and paint that add to the thickness. I had to push them on which caused them to spread, but I was able to install them.

If I had to do it over I would put something under the hinges like card stock (when drilling the holes) so that the thickness of the fabric is simulated.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks Phil. That's the biggest problem I see. I'm using Oratex and have put 2 layers (cover+finish tape) to test fit. The hinges spread apart enough that even though they could be attached I can not only see the problem you mention developing but you also end up putting the single aluminum rivet holding the top and bottom halves together in a high tension situation. Not to mention depending on how much they spread apart, the attaching rivets themselves will be under higher than normal tension.

Rick

New hinges... good call!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Hi, I am also now at this point in my build on my KF5.
    I have wings about 80% complete. Did not have the quick build wings.
    I have already attached the aluminum doublers on the top and bottom cap strips so I cannot install the the new style hinge because they reguire a full one pc reinforcement bracket part# 12041.101 and 102. The KF5 only has an aluminum doubler strip epoxied to the top and bottom cap strip. I already can see and understand the problem getting the hinges to lay flat after wings have been covered. I have not covered the Wings yet and when I test fit them they are already slightly splayed open.
    The instruction say to set the top flaperon attachment hole 1/4 inch back from the trailing edge. (See attached photo from the manual)
    I am thinking I will make this dimension 3/16 or 1/4 inch which will make a much larger opening for the hinges. I have not yet drilled the rivet holes in the hinges so if I had to I could cheat them up a little on the hinges if required.
    Anyone have a reason this should not work?
    Let me know your thoughts on this please?
    Thanks
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox5 View Post
    Hi, I am also now at this point in my build on my KF5.
    I have wings about 80% complete. Did not have the quick build wings.
    I have already attached the aluminum doublers on the top and bottom cap strips so I cannot install the the new style hinge because they reguire a full one pc reinforcement bracket part# 12041.101 and 102.
    Joe
    Unless you were a bit sloppy with the hysol, I see no reason you cant just epoxy the new 7 style brackets ontop of the old one reinforcement strips. You may have to alter the bracket height a bit, and then be generous with the hysol to fill up any gaps where the inner bracket flange rests on the capstrip. Weight difference and rivet grip thickness should negligible.

Or, if you are feeling adventurous, I'm willing to bet that a thick soldering iron tip placed on your aluminum reinforcement strips and then a razor blade and pliers will quickly remove them. (depending on how generous you were with the hysol)

My 5 ones are already in place, but I'll be switching to the 7 style.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

I just installed the stock series 5 hinges this summer. To control costs I decided to not upgrade to the 7's hinges.

When I drilled the holes, the aluminum backing strips were popping off. Seems the strips were not roughed up prior to gluing. I replaced the aluminum backing strips with thicker material. Spreading the hinge imho does not compromise the integrity of the hinge. I doubt that any movement of the hinge forward or backward could complicate the flaperon control rod linkage but why even take that chance?
    In my case I spread the hinge to fit nicely at the required 1/4 inch behind the trailing edge. I know after covering I will have to spread them a bit more to fit. Once they are riveted into position and bolted up, there is no possibility of the hinge failing imho.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by bbs428; 11-21-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Hi Brett,
    Yes I agree I do not want to spend the extra money or go thru the work to remove the aluminum backing strips that I have epoxied in with plenty of epoxy!
    I think I will just increase the 1/4 inch dimension by a 1/16 from the trailing edge to 5/16.
    I cannot see that this will be a problem with the control linkage. I will still need to force the hinges together some even with this added clearance. But i have seen a lot of kitfoxes at air shows with the upper and lower hinges and I'm sure they all had this issue and they are all still flying. The builders either increased this gap to open up the hinge or they just forced them closed down onto wing. Or like I plan on doing a combination of both.
    Thanks for your input.
    Joe Leeman