Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rib Lacing with Oratex

Default Rib Lacing with Oratex

Hello. This is my first post, but I've been taking advantage of all the great information on this forum for a while now. I'm covering my SS with Oratex. For those who have done the same, what did you use for rib lacing? Oratex says we shouldn't use waxed cord, but I'm having trouble locating un-waxed cord. Did you purchase from them, or use a waxed cord?
    Thanks
    John

Default Re: Rib Lacing with Oratex

Purchased from them.
    If I were to do it again I would make a serious attempt to find the flat, unwaxed version of the lacing. Check to see if Poly Fiber has that. The round lace causes additional effort when placing tapes on. It likes to have air trapped. I have been building up the glue over my laces to make it a bit better. It seems Im not trapping air but it would definetly be easier if they were flat. They say you can strip the wax from the lace, but again thats more work.

You can see how prominent the round lacing is. IMHO they would look better if flat. I just finished placing all my rib tapes today. I am very glad to be finished. Tomorrow its the false rib tapes. Thought I would be done with it today but Im tired of it already.
    Eddie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forums John.

That's a great picture Eddie. Looks like you are paying a lot of attention to detail when ironing
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Has anyone found a source of unwaxed flat cord? All I have found, including Poly_Fiber are waxed. Poly_Fiber is injected so I don't know if that would make a difference.

Rick

I have looked since I posted that and I have not been able to locate any.

I made a pretty determined search as well with no luck.

I have a waxed, flat cord that is used for whipping rope work - knots, spices, ends, etc. The cord is flat because individual strands are not twisted together and the wax is required to hold the united strings to make a cord. I've never see flat lacing cord but assume it is made the same way. Remove the wax and you quickly have a mess on your hands. Much like unwaxed dental floss.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I'm curious what the problem is with wax and Oratex? Is it so bad that every bit of wax must be removed? If a small residue is acceptable, then I would just cut lengths of the standard waxed flat lacing cord and soak it overnight in something that easily dissolves wax like white gasoline and then use it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I reached out to Wick's and ACS. Both have said they don't have any unwaxed lacing cord. I was able to remove the wax from the cord that came with my kit. But as Cherrybark stated it's difficult to use. I couldn't get my knots tight enough to suit me. The wax really helps the cord "grip" to itself when you pull it tight. I'm using the flat waxed cord, but wiping the residue off the fabric and cord after lacing with grease and wax remover I had on hand. I suppose the reason Oratex doesn't like the wax, is the wax residue left behind inhibits adhesion of the glue.

John

Sounds like John may have the solution. Use the waxed flat cord and then remove the wax from the visible stitches. I, too, would have to assume the Oratex glue doesn't like wax and could affect the adhesion of the finish tape at the stitch.

Rick