Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rib Lacing with Oratex

Default Re: Rib Lacing with Oratex

The reason stated by Lars at better aircraft fabric in Alaska (US destributer) is that not only does it affect adhesion but it melts out with the required heat application. It leaves a stain around every lace as if you have dropped a drop of oil around each edge of your tapes.

Along with the official application instructions, Lars will send his own "How To Apply Manual" for Oratex. This is Lars telling you how to cover with Oratex in a very straightforward manner. He doesn't hesitate to describe pitfalls and failures of using wrong techniques. Sometime Lars' German sneaks through the idioms and phrases and makes it an interesting, personable read. If you are seriously considering Oratex or have started a project, don't hesitate to give Lars a call. He is full of information and very helpful.

Here is the discussion of waxed lacing tape from his document:

When using any Oratex tapes it has to be certain that no surface contamination exists on the Oratex surface. All traces of grease, oil, wax, silicone, and rub-off Teflon that might have been accidentally applied while handling and working the Oratex must be removed. A very common source of contamination is the waxed rib-stitching thread; its heavy wax coating rubs off onto the Oratex and prevents the tapes from sticking. Once the glue on the underside of the tapes has become contaminated, it’s pretty much "Game Over" for that tape or the section of tape that has been contaminated. Sadly it indeed looks like the USA-wax-free rib-stitching thread has gone extinct! We have not yet been able to identify a guaranteed good replacement. My own Do27 project airplane uses safety wire for rib-stitching but that is not a good option in general. My advice would be to remove the wax from the thread before taking it to the airplane. So Yes; de-wax the cord before using it, e.g., take a cloth saturated with Methanol and pull the cord through the cloth with pressure on the cord (if you insist on Not buying ours!). We Are producing a new non-waxy thread in Germany (Part Number 08140 "Rib Stitching Thread", 166meters or 544feet, 0.9mm thick, $29.95) and it will not cause the problems the usual USA-sourced waxy thread produces ... Some previous customers used waxed thread despite my warnings and when the Tapes are ironed on the wax melts and spreads under the tapes like crazy. Then the tapes will not stick in that area and that is for sure not the fault of the tapes... DO NOT USE WAXED RIB STITCH THREAD !!!....Someone asked: "Is there any reason I can not use fishing line. The newer lines are wax free and extremely strong for there size. What do you think?" - I would not use the fishing line as it's smooth and cannot be soaked with our glue. why do you not just use our non-waxy tread that we offer? The fishing line is so smooth and the glue cannot penetrate it, I would absolutely Not use it. See the wax on the old style kinda held the knots together and all, together with all the glue and paint. Now ours will soak full of glue, the fishing line will not.
    If there were a flat, non-waxed cord I would probably use it. But I don't want to spend the time removing wax from strands before lacing. And I certainly don't want to have problems with finishing tape adhesion. So I'll use the round Oratex non-waxed cord.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I used waxed, flat lacing cord on my wings. I pulled each piece of cord, pinched between a clean rag initially. After lacing I cleaned each exposed section with a quick wipe of enamel reducer, after carefully removing any little wax particles on the surface that were scraped off during the lacing process. I can detect no areas of discoloration or lack of adhesion. We'll see how it holds up after being flown for awhile. I'm not worried about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

OMG! That looks so nice. Wish I had done that.
    Lars really had me scared to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    OMG! That looks so nice. Wish I had done that.
    Lars really had me scared to do it.
    Thanks Eddie. Yours looks very good in the pictures too. When I did mine there really wasn't much info warning about the use of waxed cord that I saw. Common sense told me to keep wax off of glued surfaces. The installation instructions were morphing and becoming more detailed as time went on. That's how I remember it anyway. I didn't get any lacing cord in my kit from Kitfox. I ended up ordering a spool from Kitfox when I was at that stage.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

That does look very nice, particularly done in white. I almost wish you hadn't posted that picture. I have both the flat waxed cord from the kit and unwaxed from Oratex on hand. Now I will be changing my mind back and forth while putting the fabric on the first wing and nearing the lacing stage.

John, are your doillies done with the fabric or with tape?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I used the waxed cord supplied with kit as well, wiped corded areas with denatured alcohol prior to attaching finishing strip. Happy with result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was in the same situation as John with regard to lack of instruction. I had already started lacing with the flat waxed cord with I learned there could be an issue with the Oratex adhesive. I began pulling the cord thru a clean dry cloth, picked off any wax goobers that developed on the outside of the fabric (no worries about those on inside), and cleaned the completed exposed laces with IPA on a rag. I also made sure to iron around the edge of the laces first before putting any heat on top of the lace in case any remaining wax might want to melt out.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrybark View Post
    ?...

John, are your doillies done with the fabric or with tape?
    I made most of the bigger ones from fabric and smaller ones from tape when I could.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John, how bout telling us how you have such nice contact around the lift strut brackets. I have been contemplating putting a bead of the adhesive around it and allowing paint to cover the glue when masking off the mount for paint? yours look very nice.