Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Exploring an S7 build

Default Exploring an S7 build

Looking for ideas.

Just completed an RV-8 and looking for my next project. Thinking I might like the experience of a rag and tube build. I contacted Kitfox to see if they offered a "Starter kit" like Vans does with its empennage kit. No joy. I've sent a message to see if I could buy the horizontal stab without the fuse kit. Waiting for reply.

How have others "tested the waters"?

My RV-8 and previous project Vett

Default Re: Exploring an S7 build

Blain,

I had some experience working with an A & P on restoring an old school piper - the result of that was total total comfort with tube and fabric construction......and an S7 now in my hangar now.

What occurred to me was that tube and fabric construction is not only easy to do, but it is a system that is very amenable to repairs (which there were a few on the old piper).

Actually, I think that if a person picks a Kitfox based on the mission you wish to do with it the build is going to be well within a person's capabilities, particularly if you have already built another plane such as the RV.

Nike!......just do it.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

LOL. by the looks of it you are more than capable of doing fabric work. Very nice toys you have. There is always the Sport Air Workshops but you might have to travel and wait for the next round of classes. If your personality is such that your confident enough to build those toys you have then I am baffled that your trying to "test the water". JUMP IN! If the airplane is going to fill a void in your flying desires then don't hesitate for a second. It isn't difficult.
    Having said that, I used ORATEX fabric because I don't like the idea of having to do all the prep work etc. etc. I know, I have to paint some stuff but.... I'll just have to suck it up.
    Ok, to speak to the likely real question, Is it a process you would find enjoyable?? I believe you will enjoy the process. It isn't far from my experience smashin rivets over and over on my RV4 tail.
    Eddie
    Last edited by efwd; 07-28-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: incomplete

I built an RV-4 and a RV-10 and just completed my KitFox. I took the PolyFiber class at Oshkosh several years ago to 'test the waters'. It's easy and fun, you can do it!
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Don't be afraid of the fabric work. Poly fiber has a very good manual, and it will go very well for you if you follow what you read in it if you choose that system. If you built the RV, you should be plenty capable of doing the Kitfox. Painting with the poly fiber system is easy and fun as well. If you were close by, I would let you cover the tail feathers for my next Kitfox 4 project. Worst case, it's not much fabric, and easy to tear off. :-) JImChuk

Here are a few ideas to toss around.

The Kitfox Factory Fly-in is Labor Day Weekend at Greenleaf Air Ranch near Caldwell, ID. There will be many Kitfox to examine, builders and pilots to ask questions of, there will also be a factory tour. To get there, it should be only about an hour and a half in the RV-8 from where you are in California. While there, you can connect with Stick and Rudder aviation to get a chance to fly a Kitfox.

Another option to see how the Kitfox goes together, on the Kitfox Aircraft website, there is a link to the SS7 build manual.

Just a few thoughts.

Ralph

I'll have to say that the fabric covering and learning to do my own wiring was THE most satisfying parts of the whole project.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Here are a few ideas to toss around.

The Kitfox Factory Fly-in is Labor Day Weekend at Greenleaf Air Ranch near Caldwell, ID. There will be many Kitfox to examine, builders and pilots to ask questions of, there will also be a factory tour. To get there, it should be only about an hour and a half in the RV-8 from where you are in California. While there, you can connect with Stick and Rudder aviation to get a chance to fly a Kitfox.

Another option to see how the Kitfox goes together, on the Kitfox Aircraft website, there is a link to the SS7 build manual.

Just a few thoughts.

Ralph
    Trip to Caldwell sounds like a good idea. The testing waters is more of a testing of my enjoyment of the process. I'm not concerned about my ability, just whether it feeds my interest. I wasn't convinced the RV was going to be for me until I started pounding rivets. Then I was hooked.

It's not unusual to see a later model kit up for sale at a much reduced price from what the factory sold it for. If you get one of these, you could give up on it later on and probably still sell it for what you paid, unlike the guy who bought it new, and is now taking a huge loss on it. JImChuk