Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rib Lacing and Laker Leading Edge

Default Rib Lacing and Laker Leading Edge

As soon as I say this someone will point to a thread with the answers, but I searched and read the rib lacing threads and didn't find any discussion of stitching with a LLE. I am curious how others have handled this step.

1. Proper rib lacing, wrapping both the top and bottom cap strips, then stopping at the LLE on the top side. Continuing the bottom rib stitching but only wrapping around the cap strip.

2. Drill holes in the LLE and continue tradition rib lacing right up to the leading spar.

I think I favor the first option over drilling holes in the LLE but am certainly open to suggestions.

Meanwhile, I didn't do a good job of planning the spacing of the standoff blocks that secure the #2 ribs to the bottom of the fuel tank. No matter how I try to lay out a nice lacing pattern, one of the blobs of Hysol on this rib gets in the way. I wound down work this evening going back and forth between trying to remove a bit of the Hysol or simply gluing a piece of lacing cord for that single stitch and moving on.
    Last edited by Cherrybark; 07-26-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Default Re: Rib Lacing and Laker Leading Edge

It's been done both ways but I went with option one myself. I didn't even continue lacing the bottom under the LLE. No negative pressures under there.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I did exactly as you propose in 1. My leading edge is aluminum as it was pre-Laker. I ran the reinforcing tape forward to where it would extend if laced all the way. I also glued some lacing cord in places to retain the "look" in some areas. Being a Kitfox old-timer, I remember well the days before routine rib lacing. My guess is that is the primary reason for the original 1 inch wide capstrips - much more Polytac than is typical.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I didn't stitch the ribs under the tank, just those short segments aft of the tank. Looks Fine. Oratex glue is going to more than do the job. Just finished stitching the final wing. My pinked tapes get applied Saturday.

Hi Carl,

i drilled a stitched right up to the forward edge - easy to do and looks good. Not sure if it adds any strength or not to the LLE and fabric but it was so easy to do it seemed silly not to.

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thank you all for the quick replies. Stopping at the LLE was going to be an easy decision until Ross posted how easy it was to continue to the leading spar. At least it's a decision based more on looks than necessity.

As Eddie pointed out, Oratex glue on a 1" cap strip is pretty much a belt and suspenders situation. But rib lacing on a "sticks and rags" taildragger is so traditional, not a hard job, and there is that extra security.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I don't have the Laker edge, but if I did I think I would drill lacing holes up to the spar. One caution about drilling thru the fabric; I have heard of more than one case where the drill bit grabs a thread of the dacron fabric and in a wink it pulls it, making an ugly track for quite a ways in the surrounding fabric. The easy solution is to first melt a small hole thru the fabric with a small soldering iron or woodburning iron, then drill thru the underlying material.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I don't know, I wouldn't want chunks of mud on my leading edge that big. Function over form in my opinion. I also think my smooth leading edge looks fantastic so I have form and function in my eyes
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

You pays your money and makes your choice.

I drilled and rib laced to the fwd spar. It was easer to rib lace thru the LLE. No problems pulling threads while drilling holes. I had the pink on the fabric before drilling. I didn't drill holes thru the gas tanks to rib lace. It just didn't seem right. When punching or drilling holes put the reinforcing tape down first then make the holes close to the tap. If the hole touches the tape it will pucker when you lace.