Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flush fuel caps

Default Flush fuel caps

Looking for some assistance or guidelines. Has anyone installed flush fuel caps on a SS-7. There has to be a better way than using what kitfox provides...the wingtanks are showing imho their design age and need some design improvement....for eg RANS, ZENITH, VANS all provide flush fuel caps....any advice would be appreciated to assis me on making my decision aka Rans S-21 vs Kitfox SS-7

Default Re: Flush fuel caps

For this type aircraft flush fuel caps really don't buy you much. The tanks come pre-made with the "old school" twist off flanges that stick up a bit. Adding flush fuel caps would be a major mod to the tank and you would probably be better off making your own.
    Current fuel tanks are made with better resins (as I understand) and are up to the task for todays fuels.
    If you are basing your decision on the type of fuel caps the aircraft has....
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Pretty much my thoughts too Jeff. I purchase a flush fuel cap way back in 2002 when I was thinking of ways to clean up my model 4. It even has a nice curve profile to fit nicely on the top of the curved Kitfox tanks. After considering the extra work to reroute the vent/pressuing tubes out to the wing tip area, cutting the old necks out and glassing in the flush caps, it just didn't seem worth the extra effort for so little return. I did install the fuel cap fairings on my model 4. They do work to minimize disturbed air behind the caps.
    The current system is working well on 4,000 plus flying aircraft.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Not basing my decision on fuel caps....that Wouk does be silly...I was simply wondering about a better mouse trap...what really pushes the ss7 in my favor is the gross weight and availability to get one in short order.....instrad of one year plus for the s21...off to osh on Thursday....looking forward to speaking to the kitfox team

Fly one is all it takes to be sold. Buy one and realize quickly you made the right choice. As you build you will appreciate the clarity and thoroughness of the manual as well as the factory support you get and the help here on the forum. I know you won't regret it.
    Eddie

Stop by Alan. Happy to talk airplanes. Be sure to introduce yourself and that you are on TeamKitfox. Fun to meet our members in person. Met several new members today and some longtime members and friends visited today.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Where were you hiding? I stopped by this morning. Probably again tomorrow to get some hats and shirts with the new logo...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Larry, I must have been over looking at Mike's beautiful Rotec powered Kitfox when you stopped by. I will be on an errand this morning until maybe 11am then should be at the booth. If I miss you, I will have something for you at the booth. See John or Debra.
    Steve

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear