Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Covering Floorboards?

Default Carbon Covering Floorboards?

I've never done any carbon fiber work, but was thinking of covering the plywood floorboards with it. What do you think? Good or bad idea?
    Comments are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: Carbon Covering Floorboards?

I thought it would be sensible to give up some weight and place a super thin aluminum skin on top of my floorboards for wear resistance. I bonded the aluminum to the wood with rubber cement. This "lamination" is now in the aircraft for life.... the floorboards have lost ALL FLEXIBILITY!! It will be easier to build another whole kit than take them out! I pray that I never have to take them out.

Confession....while it looks really great, I wish I had left them as simple plywood floorboards.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Quote Originally Posted by GWright6970 View Post
    I thought it would be sensible to give up some weight and place a super thin aluminum skin on top of my floorboards for wear resistance. I bonded the aluminum to the wood with rubber cement. This "lamination" is now in the aircraft for life.... the floorboards have lost ALL FLEXIBILITY!! It will be easier to build another whole kit than take them out! I pray that I never have to take them out.

Confession....while it looks really great, I wish I had left them as simple plywood floorboards.
    Did you use Hysol for bonding or ??
    Why didn't you bond each section separately, that's what I thought I'd do with the carbon fiber, that way you could take them out if needed. I thought I'd put some very thin diamond plate for some plates, for ones heels to rest on.

Hi guys
    I cut a very thin sheet of aluminum obtained from the aviation dept at home hardware. There is tough building paper bonded to the back side.
    Cut this to fit the floorboards but leave a lip about 3 inches long that slides under and between the rudder pedal bearing blocks.
    This is not attached to the wood floorboards but is screwed down with the floorboard screws.
    It is super easy to keep clean. Easily replaceable if necessary. Looks great and is light.
    Don
    Vixen 912UL IFA IVO over 700 hours and counting.

If you cover the floorboards with CF I would think that the boards that your feet rest on would eventually look rough due to your shoes scratching the resin. I was thinking to use thin aluminum on the boards next to the rudder pedals. You could prob CF the other boards though for a nice look.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

The wear resistance of carbon laminate to scuffing etc wouldn't be all that good. I assume you're looking at not carpeting the floor so I'd look for something a little more wear resistant, like a linoleum or some other thin synthetic material commonly used in flooring. Also, I'd look at something where you can velcro it to the boards and remove for cleaning. It's not big area your talking about so weight shouldn't be an issue. FWIW.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by southwind32 View Post
    Did you use Hysol for bonding or ??
    Why didn't you bond each section separately, that's what I thought I'd do with the carbon fiber, that way you could take them out if needed. I thought I'd put some very thin diamond plate for some plates, for ones heels to rest on.
    Brian,
    I should have been more specific...sorry! My floor boards are the stock two piece set still. I just put a skin of aluminum on each of them. I used rubber cement so that there would be some give to the adhesive...the Hysol has very little flex to it.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Quote Originally Posted by GWright6970 View Post
    Brian,
    I should have been more specific...sorry! My floor boards are the stock two piece set still. I just put a skin of aluminum on each of them. I used rubber cement so that there would be some give to the adhesive...the Hysol has very little flex to it.
    What is the two piece set still? On my 7 I have 5 pieces of plywood. One long piece under the rudder pedals. 2, a left and right that are basically the floor boards for your feet, and 2, left and right at the rear that slope up to the base of the front seats.
    I found some aluminum diamond plate that looks interesting. I'm going to look into it more. I'll bond it to the plywood if I elect to go that route.

Do you think your heals will hang up on the surface of diamond plate? Seems everybody puts a smooth piece of aluminum in front of the pedals.

I don't think so, but that is something I'll have to check. I don't think the pattern on the thin aluminum diamond plate sticks up much. Most of the kick plates on manufactured airplanes aren't smooth, and have some kind of dimples etc where your heels rest.