Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Covering Floorboards?

Default Re: Carbon Covering Floorboards?

Smooth works very well, especially when you want to be sure you are off the brakes when landing.
    I found by having the aluminum extend forward between the rudder bearings it does not have to be attached to the wood, other than with the hold down screws for the entire assembly.
    These assemblies should be easily removable for servicing and annuals.
    Cheers
    Don

I havent started building yet so am probably not qualified to comment, but I have used Epoxy Master in two shops now and after 7 or 8 years, they show minimal wear with cars on them daily. Wonder how that would work. You can pick your colors and only add traction sand where you want grip. Www.epoxymaster.com

Hadn't thought of epoxy based floor coverings...
    @ $85.00/gal seems a bit stiff...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    Hadn't thought of epoxy based floor coverings...
    @ $85.00/gal seems a bit stiff...
    Buy a garage kit and do your shop, then finish your floor boards with the remnants....or buy a touch up kit for $35 that covers 8 to 10 sf. It would be custom so you have to pay more,,, right

Also poking around the site you will find counter top kits starting at $30. I think it is the same stuff. This is way better than epoxy at big box stores. I have hit is with ball peen hammer and not left a mark. My steel jack wheels will leave a scrape, but it hit it with wax to polish up. Pretty tough stuff and clean up of oil, grease, solvents is a simple wipe and done.

My one concern would be burn issues. Dont think it is flammable when cured, but not sure of toxicity
    Last edited by jd99336; 07-24-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Another durable option would be LineX pickup truck bed spray on liner. I bet if you took your floorboards to a shop they would spray them cheap when doing another job. Very durable... Yes, Weight ???

Ralph

I like thin (0.15") stainless steel scuff plates made from shim stock. It has a good temper and doesn't dent or scratch easily, and it's smooth. 6" wide and as long as you like. I like to be able to slide my heals a little, and mostly keep them on the plates when not braking.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Stainless is what I will likely do. I will be using the factory interior so Im not sure if I will have to add the scuff plates or not. Not sure how the carpets come.
    Eddie

Covering with carbon will be fine, as long as you do both sides. Otherwise they'll warp. Be careful to align fiber on both sides, as again...

I would finish paint with urethane, clear or otherwise, to protect the epoxy. You can wear into the carbon, it won't fuzz like kevlar, but will not look great. (Epoxy is fairly soft and scratches quite readily.)

My floorboards were replaced with aluminum honeycomb, about 1/8" thick. The hard points, (where fasteners or rivnuts pierce and all around the edge,) are made by destroying 1/2" of core around the fastener hole or along the edge, then injecting resin, then re-drilling the hole or finishing the edge. They've held up well, but are not bulletproof by any means. (They'll dent if you try hard enough.) They're covered with urethane paint, which has held up well over 600 hours.

Here's a source.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

FYI, the factory interior carpet kit comes with a smooth vinyl? insert where your heels rest. Works great as-is imho.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

nice, thanks Jim