Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lycoming vs Continental in a SS 7 ??

Default Re: Lycoming vs Continental in a SS 7 ??

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    ... Plus it doesn't sound like it's powered by Cox. ... Jeff
    I sure wasn't exactly taken by the sound of the first Rotax powered airplane I heard, especially being a diehard Lycoming guy, but I've come to tolerate... maybe even appreciate (gasp!) the Rotax sound. Something that immediately comes to mind is the performance by Kyle Franklin in the Speedster at OSH. While standing on the flight-line, thoroughly enjoying it, it really struck me how pleasant the sound of that little Rotax was, especially compared to the extreme noise of the typical performing aircraft during the show. I like airplane noise, but the comparison was striking, and it really was nice IMHO.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: Lycoming vs Continental in a SS 7 ??

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    FYI the 500 hour inspection mentioned on the magnetos is not an overhaul, it is just an inspection. I can do a 500 hour inspection on a set of mags in 2-3 hours. The mechanic opens the mag up and and inspects all of the internals. Personally I don't remove the condenser or coil unless there is a good reason. If nothing is bad with the points, condenser, impulse coupling, etc. then the only parts that are replaced are a cotter pin and the woodruff key (which holds on the drive gear or impulse coupling). This inspection can get expensive if there are problems with the impulse couplings, bearings or rotor; or corrosion/pitting of parts. Sometimes the points/condenser need to be replaced, but that isn't too expensive.

And yes, these engines are very easy to work on.
    My bad... yes it's an inspection - not overhaul
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF