Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying Kitfox

Default Advice on buying Kitfox

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Kitfox because of it's STOL ability and the LSA category. It will be my first aircraft purchase and I sure would like advice from the pros, flyboys, and bushmen on this forum.

I want to hangar it on my farm where there is 900 ft. of open field on 1% slope.

I had been looking at Maules, but because of a "special issuance" on my medical and the high cost of testing every year for it, I thought it smarter to let my FAA medical expire when I turn 65 (148 days...not that I'm counting) and go with the LSA physical.

It's surprising that after 35 years as a pilot that I have almost no money to spend on a GA aircraft (had lots of fun though), so Kitfox fits my budget...mostly. Otherwise there will be no flying for me when they put me out to pasture ( did I mention it is in 148 days?)

Well, I'm sure looking forward to some Sage advice and I hope some of you will be happy to help.

Default Re: Advice on buying Kitfox

You must have been living under a rock recently. Google basic med and go buy the maule. Do not go back and get another medical. Go to your regular doctor and do the online portion and enjoy your rekindled love for aviation and having your own very capable aircraft.

Horsefly,
    Love the name!!
    You can in fact even avoid dealing with your local doctor. If you choose to fly a Kitfox.
    Advice to not renew medical is critical.
    I had a provisional which I got changed to a standard and I will fly on my driver's license in the future when I finish a Kitfox model IV 1200.
    I too flew out of 900 ft with a J2. I then flew a bigger homebuilt.
    Now, at 82, I am just finishing the Kitfox which really fits fun flying, short field and lowest possible operating cost, all necessary at this stage of my life. I have a thousand hours now in the Kitfox build I started last July.
    Just west of you is Silver Wings Air Ranch where I Will be visiting next weekend. Would be happy to meet and discuss my approach to this phase of my flying.
    I check this forum daily.
    Bud

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    You must have been living under a rock recently. Google basic med and go buy the maule. Do not go back and get another medical. Go to your regular doctor and do the online portion and enjoy your rekindled love for aviation and having your own very capable aircraft.
    Not a rock, but far from GA. I will not get another FAA medical and know how to download the basic med form when needed. But please correct me if I'm wrong, it's my understanding that a constant speed prop (on most Maules) does not qualify as an LSA.

Are you recommending a Maule over a Kitfox?

Thank you very much for your advice, as a newbie, I need it.
    Last edited by Horsefly; 07-10-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Davidson View Post
    Horsefly,
    Love the name!!
    You can in fact even avoid dealing with your local doctor. If you choose to fly a Kitfox.
    Advice to not renew medical is critical.
    I had a provisional which I got changed to a standard and I will fly on my driver's license in the future when I finish a Kitfox model IV 1200.
    I too flew out of 900 ft with a J2. I then flew a bigger homebuilt.
    Now, at 82
    I check this forum daily.
    Bud
    Bud,
    Boy, I hope I'm alive at 82, much more, still flying. You're on. I'd love to chat.
    990-0006

Bud, like Horsefly, I'm blown away. Still building at 82 - now that's impressive !. I thought I was getting too old to start building in my very late 60's - you give me hope !
    David
    SS7 Builder

Horsefly,
    One thought I should have mentioned. I recommend monitoring this forum site since the discussions cover an abundance of new ideas and solutions to challenges. I have learned as much just following discussions as I have actually assembling this aircraft... Unlike my earlier homebuilt experience.

I will post a note here when I get to Silver Wings... Should be Saturday.
    Bud

Ground adjustable prop only. No Constant speed props for the LSA or I would have bought that too. Im hoping the Whirlwind prop is easily adjusted because I will use the climb setting mostly around home and Cruise setting when I want to go cross country.

Horsefly you are confusing LSA and basic med. As long as you are flying an aircraft under a 6 seater and a few other limitations, you are covered. Basically this covers those senators with bonanzas that want to continue to fly as they age.

Constant speed is no longer a factor. Get the LSA idea out of your head as that will no longer be an issue for you, assuming you don't just have a sport pilots license. Since you were looking at Maules, I can assume that isn't the case.

The Kitfox has nothing on the maule as far as speed, load hauling, range, etc. All for just a bit more than a KF will cost you. The KF will take off short, but so will a light maule.

I'm not in the category of having to use basic med, but have many friends that are. I would hate to see you settle for an aircraft that is LSA and doesn't meet your intended mission when you don't have to. If you are an AOPA member it would behoove you to give them a call and get educated on what all the new system can offer a private pilot such as yourself. I think you'd be surprised at the amount of aircraft that are available that meet your mission that are much more capable than a KF.

82 damned I hope I make it to 72! I am starting to have my doubts I'll make it to 70!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas