Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Advice on buying Kitfox

Default Re: Advice on buying Kitfox

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    While I have always liked Maules, I don't think they are really comparable to a Kitfox. Here's my short list why I think a Kitfox would be a superior recreational airplane for two people; (ok, maybe not a short list...)
    Thanks so much. Great detail, it's like you know what I'm thinking. You explained things very well.

I'm pretty sure that a used Kitfox is going to do the trick. I've got a good field, don't have anyplace far off to travel to, not a lot of money, no desire to visit B,C, or D airspace. Steam gauges are fine. Basic med, or no med (LSA) is fine. I have a first class now with a special waiver that I believe the Feds will want me to maintain even with a third class. Basic med looks real easy and have already checked with my family physician.

I've got no desire to build at this time, but might change my mind in a year or two when things slow down. A used Kitfox fits me just fine, but there is a lot to know about homebuilts that I'm not up to speed on. I like the specs on the 912 engine and don't think much of some of other exotic motors I see in Trade a plane and Barnstormer.

I think I'm going to take the course up in Idaho soon. Has anybody done this? I haven't flown a tail dragged since 1984 and that one grossed at 48K, I flew with an instructor in a 172 last year, and other than that, commercial jets for the last 30 years.

Kitfox looks real good for keeping my hand in flying without breaking the bank.

Again, thanks for the great detail in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    snip, snip... If you want to see a maule that outperforms a KF in all arenas look up Greg Swingle. Big rocks and long props
    I would agree that is a very good performing Maule. But it is probably the most modified Maule in the history of the design. I've seen it in a lot of videos, and it is pretty amazing. But I also think much of its performance can be attributed to a pretty exceptional pilot. Greg is one hell of a pilot imho.

And while I do think Greg's highly modified Maule (Bushwacker) would give a standard Kitfox a good run for its money, they aren't as far apart in performance as you may think. Especially if you put a highly skilled pilot like Greg in the Kitfox. And if you modified a Kitfox to lighten it up like Greg did the Bushwacker, and then you put a 115 hp Rotax 914 in it, performance wise the 914 Super Sport would surpass the Maule in most every area. Of course, the Maule will haul more weight, but only 175 lbs more. And since the Rotax burns less than half the fuel of the 180 hp Lycoming, you will save 120 lbs of fuel in a 4 hour flight. So now the actual weight carrying difference is down to a very minimal 55 lbs.

Some might think this pretty "Ballsy", but let's compare that highly modified 180 hp Maule against a stock Kitfox Super Sport with a standard Rotax 912s of 100 hp. I copied the Bushwackers specs from an article about Greg Miller building it. Note that I put the Kitfox SS standard specs behind those of the Bushwacker.

Bushwacker Specs:

Powerplant Lycoming H0-360 C1A 180hp (Kitfox SS - 100 hp 912 Rotax)
    Prop McCauley 90" length /33" pitch (Kitfox SS - 72" 3 blade typical)
    Stall Speed (dirty) 37 (Kitfox SS - stall 37)
    Cruise Speed ~95 mph @ 2500 rpm (Kitfox SS - 120 mph)
    Top Speed 102 mph @ 2700 rpm (Kitfox SS - 125 mph)
    Rate of Climb ~1200-1500 fpm@ sea level (Kitfox SS - 1200 fpm SL)
    Takeoff distance 125' (1/2 fuel, pilot, a few extras) (Kitfox SS - 290')
    Takeoff Over 50' obstacle ~250-300' (Kitfox SS? Similar)
    Landing distance 150' or less...way less with water (Kitfox SS - 270')
    Fuel Capacity 42 gal - Range 380 miles (Kitfox SS - 27 gal/612 miles)
    Wingspan 33' 8" (Kitfox SS - 32')
    Wing Area ~165.6 sq feet (Kitfox SS - 132')
    Gross Weight 2300lbs (Kitfox SS 1550 lbs)
    Empty Weight 1325lbs (Kitfox SS 750 lbs))
    Max Useful Load 975lbs (73% of Empty Weight) (Kitfox SS- 800 lbs. 107% of Empty Weight So Kitfox SS can haul 82% of what Bushwacker can! )

Mods/Extras:

• Maule M5 fuselage (powder coated)
    • Maule M7 wings - wingspan 33'-8"
    • 126" Flaps
    • Maule M7 rudder
    • Stock horizontal stabilizer and elevator
    • Titanium Firewall and egress tunnel
    • Custom carbon fiber cowwl by Maule Mods
    • .080 AR5000 windows (except windscreen)
    • Sky light
    • Metal Belly
    • Extended baggage
    • Fieberglass/nomex-core floor boards
    • Gar Aero tailwheel
    • Baby Bushwheel with 1 3/4 spring
    • Vortex Generators
    • Light-weight alternator
    • Becker Com
    • Airtech paint C102 fabric

So we learned the Kitfox SS is 23 mph faster than the Bushwacker in standard configuration. Of course, to be fair you need to equip the Kitfox with some big draggy tires, so lets just say the Kitfox is only 10 mph faster. The stall and climb is about the same between the two planes. The Bushwacker shows a slightly shorter takeoff and landing distance, but that is probably the largest difference in the two planes. But to be fair to the Kitfox, if you are concerned about improving T/O and Landing distances we should equip it with the new Kitfox STI wing that is designed for even more improved STOL. Then I'm sure the T/O and landing distances would be closer. But then the Kitfox would really accel in the climb, probably climbing 300+ fpm better than the Bushwacker. And of course if you lightened and modified the Kitfox similarly to what was done to the Bushwacker, and then put the 914 Rotax (or better, the 140 hp custom 914), the Kitfox would blow the numbers through the roof.

I know these are specs vs specs, but I think it does a pretty good job of showing that a Kitfox CAN holds its own against the most highly modified and famous Maule in the world. That says a lot in my opinion. And remember, the Kitfox is doing that on about 1/2 the fuel per hour.

So how is that even possible? It is actually quite simple. Just do an empty weight wing and power loading comparison of the two airplanes and you will see the Kitfox actually has the same horsepower to weight number as the Bushwacker, and a wing loading number that is 30+% less. Numbers don't lie. It's just that simple.

For most then, the only reason to own the Maule in my opinion is that you need more cubic feet of space, and/or more seats. Or maybe you just like Maules? And that is perfectly ok, and understandable to me as I like them too. I just like the Kitfox more...

On a final note, Greg Miller has a very, very cool Maule. But I doubt very much that you could build that plane again. The FAA will not allow people to modify a factory built airplane like that anymore, converting it to an experimental certificate (look it up, there's a lot of discussion on that subject). You'd have to build it from scratch without using Maule parts. And if you did so with new parts and materials, I'm pretty sure you'd have at least double the cost of new Kitfox in it. There's a reason a Carbon Cub brings 200k+.

Here's the link to a very good article about Greg Millers highly modified Maule affectionately named Bushwacker;

www.shortfield.com/31-articles/pilotsandplanes/29-bushwacker (Scroll down the page once the home page opens to read article)

"I want to hangar it on my farm where there is 900 ft. of open field on 1% slope."

I'm curious about your proposed 900' farm strip. What's on the approach ends ?

Quote Originally Posted by TY2068 View Post
    "I want to hangar it on my farm where there is 900 ft. of open field on 1% slope."

I'm curious about your proposed 900' farm strip. What's on the approach ends ?
    Two choices actually. One is flat and 1100 ft. Over 35 ft trees, But far from house, barn, and would need a hangar. The other, a clear approach over neighbors cows, then across an 8 ft. game fence, then uphill to barn and shipping containers. Anybody keep their kit fox in a shipping container?

Prevailing wind will be quartering tail wind for downhill takeoff (5 to 8 mph). The second choice will have to share the field with livestock, but I can easy mark out 75x900 strip with electric fence to keep them out and open it a few times a year for grazing. Also there is an airport 6 miles away (T-82).

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    If you want to see a maule that outperforms a KF in all arenas look up Greg Swingle. Big rocks and long props.
    Greg Swingle flies a Rans S7 of the Ohio Bush Planes group. Link

Youre thinking of Greg Miller. Link
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Well no "Sage" advice here as I'm low time in my Kitfox IV. I will however say that I personally wouldn't want to try either of those mentioned options at my low skill level. 1100' strip with 35' tall trees to clear on approach, no thanks. Now I'm sure some guys here scoff at this and can land on a piece of fly paper and make it stick. I however haven't been able to land and stop shorter than around 300' and that's only over a 4' fence. What looks doable on the ground will not look so doable from the air. A 900' "box canyon" strip terminating at a barn would scare the heck out of me as soon as my nose was pointed at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
    Thanks so much. Great detail, it's like you know what I'm thinking. You explained things very well.

I'm pretty sure that a used Kitfox is going to do the trick. I've got a good field, don't have anyplace far off to travel (snip snip)

I think I'm going to take the course up in Idaho soon. Has anybody done this? Snip snip

Kitfox looks real good for keeping my hand in flying without breaking the bank.

Again, thanks for the great detail in your post.
    I'm glad my ramblings helped. I do think a Kitfox would be a good fit for you, but it would be great if you could do some training with Stick and Rudder as that would not only be a great time, but that would tell you if a Kitfox is really what you want.

And hey, I do think Timberwolf made some good points about other potential choices. I like the planes he suggested and wouldn't mind owning any of them. In fact I kind of see the Kitfox as the LSA version of a Maule, as they share a lot of the same capabilities. But thus far my Kitfox satisfies my needs, and I'm saving a bunch of money all while having a blast with it... for the last 3 decades .

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    While I have always liked Maules, I don't think they are really comparable to a Kitfox. Here's my short list why I think a Kitfox would be a superior recreational airplane for two people; (ok, maybe not a short list...)

- Purchase price will be much less if comparing apple to apples. In other words, don't compare a new Kitfox to an old Maule. A new Kitfox will be less than a new Maule, and a used Kitfox will generally be less money than a used Maule. And don't kid yourself, the $50,000 used Maule is likely to need some work. Plan on more like $80,000 to get a decent one. By comparison, a 50K used Kitfox is likely to be a nice airplane that isn't likely to need any big dollar repairs anytime soon.

- Operational costs between a Kitfox and a Maule are for sure apples and oranges. I own a certified factory built aircraft in addition to my Kitfox, and the cost to maintain it is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than maintaining my Kitfox. And when you own a factory built aircraft you will learn to hate checking your mail, as when they send those nice little mandatory "Airworthiness Directives" you know it's going to be a lot of money for something that probably doesn't even need to be done. I once paid 10 grand for a 4 pound box of bolts and 8 short pieces of 4130 strapping to comply with a "wing spar reinforcement" that even the chief engineer of the company said wasn't needed on my airplane. But unfortunately, the FAA decided to include every model in the AD, whether it was needed or not. And the odd thing is that most of us were happy to pay 10k for a box of bolts, as the first idea the company and the FAA had was to replace both of the wings, at $130,000 EACH! Another example, the engine has had 5 AD's for the oil pump gears to be replaced, each time using a different combination of gear materials, only to end up with generally the same set up the engine came with. And that engine is known as one of the most reliable, bulletproof in the industry. Just pay attention to classified ads for the factory built planes "Crank AD complied", "Prop AD complied", "Tail reinforcement AD done", etc, etc. Owners spend a lot of money, and time on AD's. You will never get a mandatory AD on a Kitfox experimental as that doesn't exist since you are the manufacturer. You will get service bulletins, but compliance is at your discretion (and hopefully good common sense). And if you built the plane yourself, it typically is not a huge deal as you can do it yourself and save labor costs.

- While an average stock Maule will operate out of a 900 ft field, if there are any obstructions the pucker factor will be high. 900 ft with obstructions will not be great in a Kitfox either, but the pucker factor will be a lot less for sure. There is no question that an average Kitfox will go in and out of a smaller place than an average Maule. It's really pretty simple, the Maule has a lot more speed and inertia than the Kitfox, so it needs more room. I used to fly a very light Avid Flyer (predecessor to Kitfox) out of a 300 ft model airplane runway on my dads farm for years (with two people many times), and not once was it a big deal. My buddy that owns an early and light 180 Cessna always said he was going to do it just to show me he could go in and out as easily as I could, but after flying a few approaches he forfeited our bet, admitting it was too tight.

- I fly my Kitfox 912 powered amphib currently for around $10 an hour in fuel. I would anticipate a Maule will burn 5 to 6 times that, or more. Mess up a prop on a Maule? Expect to spend 8-10k to fix that problem (assuming you didn't also damage the crankshaft, that would be another 15-25K). A NEW prop for a Kitfox would be anywhere from $700 to 3k depending on how fancy you want to get. And assuming it was a 912, a prop strike is not likely to damage the crankshaft, but you may need to go through the gear box for probably 2-3k.

- Storage? I can fit 3 or 4 Kitfoxes in a standard hangar with the wings folded. Heck, I don't even need a hangar. A garage or an enclosed trailer works. Anticipate 15 minute for getting her ready to fly, and you are good to go. Storage area not an issue? Well let me tell you, if you ever have a breakdown somewhere it is a pretty handy option to know you can haul it home on a U-Haul trailer if you need to (you can haul a Maule home if you take it all apart, but you won't have it ready to trailer in 15 minutes). Oh, and traveling with your folded wing Kitfox behind your motorhome is a blast. Nothing like discovering the country with your plane and your camper.

- LSA vs the new Medical option; Unless you need more seats, or have a high desire to go really fast, the LSA option is pretty hard to beat. As long as you have a drivers license you are good to go. No red tape or strings attached. Want a 1550 lb gross weight Kitfox? Well then you will need to do the new medical, as it exceeds the LSA max flying weight. But at least you will have all the other benefits of a Kitfox yet.

- Versatility; My 80 hp Kitfox amphib is a blast. I commonly fly with friends that have Husky amphibs, which can easily hit 400k to obtain new, and $150k for an older used one (that incidentally can't legally haul two people, as typically will only have a 380 lb useful load, but burns 60 lbs of fuel an hour). I put my Kitfox amphib together by buying a project and finding a used set of floats. So I have a whole 25k in it with a bunch of sweat equity (although realistically it is probably worth twice that today?) and I can do everything their Husky's can, on less than half the fuel. And I beat them off the water so bad it is embarrassing to them (so I don't do that anymore). Oh, and just imagine if I put 4 grand and an afternoon worth of effort to put a Zipper kit into my 912 to increase the horsepower by 35%! Then I'd have a real rocketship. With all that said, find another airplane that can do what my little 80 hp Kitfox can do. You'll be hard pressed to even come close. And of course you can put amphibs on a Maule, but you will need something like an M6 - 260 to make it perform on amphibs. And you won't find one of them for 50k. The floats alone are likely to cost that much.

I could go on and on why I think the Kitfox is such a great personal aircraft, but I think you get the drift. And hey, I'm not bashing the Maule, as I said earlier I like Maules. But the hassles associated with owning another factory built aircraft is likely to keep me from ever owning one. For the pure enjoyment of flying, the Kitfox is truly a premium aircraft.

And the low costs associated with operating a Kitfox is one of the things I like best. You can go out for 3 or 4 hours of flying and only burn 10 to 15 gallons of fuel, so you'll never have to feel guilty for draining the family's funds a couple hundred dollars every time you go out.

There's a reason the GA crowd refers to their flying as the $100 hamburger... and today it is more like the $200 hamburger. But in a Kitfox, the hamburger is more like $25
    These are the reasons exactly why a KF feels like a perfect fit for me.
    I love the folding wings ( males storing so easy)
    I love the operating cost
    I love the side-by-side seating
    Power is not a huge issue for me as I will be new to flying and the ease or operation on the KF seems to fit the bill nicely.
    Plus, building it "sounds" fun now but Im sure there will be some SOB moments when I will want to throw the darn thing away.

For a first time aviator, the KF seems to check all the boxes for me. Now I just need to figure out logistics to build her and get a loan