Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What KitFox fits me!

Default What KitFox fits me!

A couple of years ago I was pretty disappointed when I sat in a prospective (I think it was a model 2) and did not fit at all. I literally could not get full range of motion in the stick. Since that time I learned to try on an airplane first before getting too excited about it. I have since purchased a Champ but it is too limited for my needs. I'm looking once again for another aircraft.

I want the ability to fly out of small RAF type fields with my wife and a decent payload. I wrote off the Kitfox due to the size limitations and started looking at other types of experimental and LSA aircraft. The Aerotrek, Just, and Zenith 750 look interesting (not sure I'll fit in them) but I saw a classified for a Kitfox model 7 and the useful load made take another look. I believe there was an increase in size as well as useful load.

At 6'2" and 230# with long legs, what model KitFox would accommodate my size?

Thanks

Default Re: What KitFox fits me!

If a Champ is to small for you, I doubt any Kitfox will work. JImChuk

I bought the Champ because it did fit me.

But is has no useful load once loaded with people and gas. It's actually placard against any baggage if both seats occupied. It's an oddball 7JC.

I'm considering a Stinson108-x but I would prefer something that burns less gas.

The folding wings of the Kitfox, Aerotrek, and Just is a big plus.

You might also look at the Rans S20 and S21, they have good size cabin and payload and adjustable seats. I'm 6'-2 with a 36" inseam and they work just fine! S21 hasn't flown yet, but the cabin is the same from the baggage area forward as the S20.

Greg

You should be good in a model 5,6,7 or 7SS. They are all the same size in the cockpit with much more room than the early model 1,2, & 3. The model 4 has more width but leg room wasn't increased much over the model 3.
    Tall people with long legs like the 5,6,7 and 7SS models.

Performance will be better than the Champ and also fuel burn depending on engine choice. The Rotax 912 series in 80 or 100 hp. should keep fuel burn to around 4 gph with the 80 hp. and about 5 or 5.5 gph with the 100 hp. Rotax. You would enjoy both but the 100 hp. would be the best choice or the 914 turbo but they are much more rare to find for sale.

Warning, once you fly a Kitfox your Champ will quickly feel like a work truck compared to the Ferrari like performance of a Kitfox and your list of prospective aircraft will decrease considerably.

The Aerotrek is based off the model 4 Kitfox as far as sizing. Not an ideal choice for you size wise but better than the model 2 you tried on.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

You don't need a lot of stick movement in a Kitfox.The 5 and later are a real advantage in shoulder width but a some earlier models have wide body kits,if ever I have to recover I will look at a wide body kit as I am a bit broad

You will fit in a 5 or later, I have passengers your size ride with me all the time. Previous owner of mine was about your size as well.

Yep. Model 5 or later. Height and depth are also adjustable with sear cushions.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Quote Originally Posted by flyboyanderson View Post
    A couple of years ago I was pretty disappointed when I sat in a prospective (I think it was a model 2) and did not fit at all. I literally could not get full range of motion in the stick. Since that time I learned to try on an airplane first before getting too excited about it. I have since purchased a Champ but it is too limited for my needs. I'm looking once again for another aircraft.

I want the ability to fly out of small RAF type fields with my wife and a decent payload. I wrote off the Kitfox due to the size limitations and started looking at other types of experimental and LSA aircraft. The Aerotrek, Just, and Zenith 750 look interesting (not sure I'll fit in them) but I saw a classified for a Kitfox model 7 and the useful load made take another look. I believe there was an increase in size as well as useful load.

At 6'2" and 230# with long legs, what model KitFox would accommodate my size?

Thanks
    I'm 6'2 and 230lbs . My 5 fits me well. Two people my size works. So a 5 , 6, 7 or 7ss would work as long as they have adjustable rudder pedals.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Don't get a foxy 747. The cockpit is fairly small and it also burns a lot of fuel. However the useful load is quite generous.