Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question ?

Default question ?

what is everyones thoughts on building a plane before you get your license. Ive wanted to build for 5 or 6 years but the economic crash set me back I am again looking into building one. I wanted to use the new plane to get my license, not sure if the kit fox is suitable for a person to get a license in. thanks for any info.

Default Re: question ?

It's a great idea. I'm teaching someone to fly in my KF4. You may want to consider using the tricycle gear option but you will find the kitfox a tough plane to beat both to learn and to progress as your skills improve.
    My thoughts.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

I built my Kitfox SS7, then went to Stick & Rudder in Boise and got my license (I had never flown before), then came home and did my maiden flight and Phase I testing on my own plane.

I found no good way to use my own newly-built Kitfox to take my training in. There were no Kitfox instructors in my area, someone else would have had to fly off the first 40 hours of Phase I testing before it could be used for training, then I would have had to have someone else fly it to Boise to be used in my training.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I could get my license with the local air port in a 150 or 172, I have looked into stick and rudder and thought that also to be an option. I am going to build a trike gear I think. only question about the trike was if I could land at all the grass strips that tail draggers could, the strips looks pretty nice from the pictures.

My brother learnt to fly in his own KF4 ,he had no problem.
    I wish I had learnt in a fox

now I all I have to do is convince the wife that spending 67-75 thousand to build and learn to fly a kit fox is a good idea, shes not totally against the idea, the house is paid for the kids are gone. probably wont be able to start on one till the end of next summer. I am selling the house and building a new one and a 28x30 shop thanks for the input willy

Willy,

There is a list member who did exactly what you are considering......and his story is on this list under "Kitfox of the month" Patrick Hintz model 6.

Great story, worth a read.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

If you can manage 32' or maybe even 34' on the interior of the new shop it will come in useful when it's time to rig the wings. With a 34' width you should be able to squeeze your way around the wings rather than having to repeatedly duck under. And I can promise, during the wing rigging process, the drift pin, wrench, and every other tool you need will always be on the other side of the fuselage.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Your plan makes perfect sense, even if you can't use your personal bird for the actual flight training. My plan is much the same although I may not build as a first plane. Since you're in Idaho, I would give serious thought to Stick and Rudder. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I believe they even have a tricycle KF now if that is the way you want to go. I plan to use Paul and his crew myself. I have a few hours in 150's but plan to train in tail dragger configuration. It worked in the old days, no reason it won't work now if that is where a person wants to end up. Best of luck, keep the enthusiasm going!

If you've wanted to build for 5 to 6 years, you won't be satisfied unless you do it. I quit flying (low hours) 20 years ago and finally took the leap last year and ordered the SS7 kit ...... before I restarted flying. If in your shoes, I'd start the build and then start flying when you're approaching the end of it. It's a good idea, I think, to learn to fly other aircraft types and also to operate into and out of sealed, gravel and grass strips. A rounded experience is a good thing. Whichever way you jump, good luck with the decision. Just my thoughts.
    David
    SS7 Builder