Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to Expand my landing capability

Default Want to Expand my landing capability

Greetings from Australia

I have a few questions about an upgrade for my kit fox model 4 that is located in Mt Beauty Victoria Australia.

I would like to put larger tires on the aircraft to keep up with my mate Ross, as well as a pneumatic tire for the tail wheel to do some off field landings. I don’t want to change the useful load of the aircraft a great deal in the process.

Before we start, I confess that I did not do the build. The original builder did an upgrade with the Grove Aluminium Spring Gear. He indicated that the wheels and axle are from the original kit provided. I assume they are the standard axles (0.75 inches that support the 8 inch ATV Rims).

Questions:

I understand if If I purchase the Grove Wheel and Brake kit, I will need to purchase the 1, 1/4 inch axles as well. Does anyone know if the price of $999 cover both wheels or just one side?

What type of tires would you suggest for the wheel if I upgrade? Ideally I would like the largest without breaking the budget or increasing weight too much. What would you think about the 21/800-6 Aero Classic as an option. Would it fit the rim?

For the Matco tailwheel, can I purchase the 6 inch rim and tire (pneumatic) inch and instal directly onto the same fork, or will i need to purchase a new fork assembly for the tail wheel?

If anyone has some better suggestions please let me know

BTW I love this thing.

Thanks in anticipation
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Want to Expand my landing capability

Save yourself a bunch of time and money and stay with the 8 inch wheel. Dresser has a 27inch tire for about $500 US. TailWheel looks good Just switch out the wheel. Look to a go cart supplier and find a good quality wheel inexpensively or select a more expensive option from a aircraft supplier.
    Link for the Dresser

https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tire...LASS-AA4AK.asp
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

I have the Matco tubeless wheels and double puck brakes. They are very good quality and I have had no problems with them. Far superior performance than the Matco brakes before. I run the 21-800-6 Aeroclassics tubeless at about 15 psi. I've never had a problem.

IMO, don't waste your time with the 6" pneumatic tire. It is a wheelchair tire which isn't very tough and doesn't last long. Go with the 8", and if you can go to the wide 8" wheel with the two arm frame. You will be much happier.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If you really want to keep it low budget, you could go with these. JImChuk
    https://www.amazon.com/Nanco-Slick-B...rds=nanco+tire

I would go with the Desser 22/8.50x6 smooth tundra tire. About the same price as the 21/8.00x6 but a little bigger and softer; fits the same wheel.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

If you have 8 inch main gear wheels, I would go with the 27 inch Desser tires. It is a much larger Bush type tire that will take you more places. And its very reasonably priced compared to other bushwheels. And it will do better on pavement than the other more expensive AK Bush Tires. The only reason you aren't seeing them more is because most don't have 8 inch wheels. But if you do, that would be a great option. Not to mention you would have a mega cool looking Kitfox

I like the Matco double arm tailwheel with the larger tire. But I also like the Jim Pekola locking tailwheel. It has no chains but the Just ajrcraft guys love them. It's rare to see someone go back to a standard chained tailwheel after they try the unchained tailwheel. The only real negative is when flying skis, sometimes the tailwheel won't pivot because of being on ice. I'm guessing that's not an issue where you are.

Doc68, I suspect Norm is right ... ie you could just changeout the tailwheel size. Your Matco gear looks to be the same as I have on my current SS7 build and mine has an 8" pneumatic. I can send you details of the axle, rim, tyre and tube if that helps.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

On the tail wheel, the Matco you have in the picture is a single arm.

Check out the Matco website, the 8" pneumatic would be the smallest I would go with. There are bigger wider ones, if you decide on the 27" larger mains and really want to go off field on rough or soft ground.

I went from a scott 6" solid tire tail wheel setup, not too much different than yours, to a Matco WHLT-8LD (200x500 tire) and to a now, my current tail wheel, Matco WHLT-8D with a 2.80/2.50 - 4 tire, it has a common rim size, tire and tube that you can get almost anywhere.

As far as changing the tail spring it should not be required the tail wheels should be a straight swap, you will need to lengthen your chains .

I tried to just upgrade the rim/tire size on the Matco WHLT-8LD (200x500 tire) , to the 2.80/2.50-4 rim and tire, but the arms were too short to allow a full 360 caster. So, a larger rim and tire on your current Matco arm may not work , depends on how much experimentation you are up for.
    Last edited by kmach; 06-29-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I have never heard anyone mention the Home Builders Special tailwheel from Aircraft Spruce. Though I have over 1000 hours in taildraggers, this tailwheel has been trouble free from day one. I had one on the N96kl - 900 hours and no issues whatsoever. Solid lock when centered and easy unlock for tight one wheel turns or moving in the hangar.

Would I recommend this to a friend - Absolutely!
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I got the homebuilders special. yes it is a good tail wheel. I will say, It's hard to get grease in the zerk. but what I've had trouble with is if I get too much grass and dirt in the tailwheel it can NOT lock in place. you don't know it until you land and it's like woha! lets go right no lets go left. you better be good on the rudder skills. I generally take and remove the big nut and clean out all the dirt and put it back together with fresh grease every, 10hrs or so. other then that.

now this morning I made the perfect landing, but on the hard runway I did notice it being real responsive. just a little touch of the rudder and it will turn big time. even just breathing on the rudder can do it. I don't think it's the tail wheel it's the chains maybe. I'm really in like of that wheel that the Just guys are using. I think when I'm at OSH I'm going to be looking at that closer. I also have the bug to do more off runway fun.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop