Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flap handle

Default flap handle

My flap handle seems to rub when moving it, I set the indent plates as shown but the handle rubs hard enough it is rubbing thru the power coating. The width is set with the bushings, anyone else have this issue. SS7

Default Re: flap handle

I had the same problem with mine. It is a pretty close fit.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Any way to resolve this so the paint does not get worn off?

Put a thin washer on each bushing.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have the same problem and looking for a solution as well. Will try Jim's suggestion first.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Even with the washers any side load on the flap handle allows it to rub in the slot. I have thought about putting some teflon tape on the sides of the flap detent brackets, but haven't done it.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I have seen occasionally on this forum where some have used a thin black plastic insert that fits in the flap slot with thin flanges that hang down to prevent metal to metal contact. Doesn't come in the kit and I don't know where they have found them.

Mine is very close, but doesn't seem to rub. When I covered the console with fabric, I let it overhang the flap slot a little; maybe that provides a little rubbing protection.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for all the input, since others are having the same issue I would think there would be a correction to the kit to correct this. The flap handle should have no resistance in the operation from the mounting setup, I am a bit disappointed in this but will try to get it worked out. Issues like this is what builds up extra build time that should not be necessary.

Mine does it also. Considering Hysol and a zip tie lengthwise on both sides. Not even sure if I have that much clearance to be honest. I have also got some of the anti chafe tape made by 3M. It's much thinner and it has its own adhesive. That may lay up nicely under the fabric I intend on covering the console with also.

My solution was to take the flap handle over to the press(using some formed hardwood blocks) and tweak it slightly - didn't take much to center it in the slot - that took care of the alignment and no resistance or hang-ups. If a person thinks about it - there are a lot of things that have to line up and I think we are lucky the parts fit as well as they do with only a little minor fit and finish.

To make it all very smooth & rattle free, a strip of the 1/2" wide rib lace reinforcing tapes (leftover from the wing covering) stuck to the sides of the slot did the job.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN