Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Header tank ??

Default Header tank ??

I'm curious why the Kitfox has a header tank. I'm use to PA-11 header tanks. On this Cub the header tank is located forward of the instrument panel and provides fuel in extreme nose down down attitudes in the event the main fuel tank is low since the fuel pickup is towards the rear of the tank. So how does the Kitfox header work and why do we have it?
    Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: Header tank ??

I think its the same nose down attitude thing. The pickups in the mains are at the rear so that nose down with low fuel could uncover the pickup.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

I have low fuel warning on my plane and if run to long in a bank one of the tanks always will not work. I don't run with both fuel tanks running at the same time. I like to run one tank or the other to monitor fuel and keep fresh in my fox at all time. I have a ball valve on each tank. but anyway, I run half tanks and if I'm playing too much that tank I'm on will go dry so to speak, ya the light comes on, but I don't worry too much cus the header tank is there and when I straighten up the tank will start flowing again. Or if that tank goes empty the light comes on but the header tank will run the engine for about 20 minutes, more then enough to switch to the other tank. I don't know, I like the header tank, it keeps things going.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Since the header tank is the lowest point of the fuel system it also functions as a water and contaminant trap and is the best place to drain a fuel sample. I believe that is why very few Kitfoxes have or need a gascolator.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I haven't looked at mine, which is plastic, I'm going to change it out to Aluminum, but there's a fitting to install a quick drank on the header tank?
    Thanks
    Brian

Yes, there is a port boss on the bottom of the tank. The kit includes a quick drain fitting for this port and an aluminum doo-dad for penetrating the fabric at the drain port.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Also a good way to vent any air from the fuel lines (e.g. when one line pulls in air when tank level is low - such as during a hard slip)

Why a header tank? As stated before to keep the fuel flowing while on extended descent. A friend at my home airport built a Zenith CH-750... no header tank as per plans. While in Phase I testing, he was on a long descent before entering the traffic pattern and his engine (O-200) started to sputter due to fuel starvation. He fabricated a header tank before he continued testing/flights.

It is there for a reason.

Ralph