Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do, looking for suggestions.

Default Re: What to do, looking for suggestions.

The wing is the easiest thing to cover on the plane. That being said, I would start with an inspection hole and if I wasn't satisfied I would enlarge it and add a patch after. Just me.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. I opened the wing up this afternoon. The nest was about a foot square. I'm guessing mostly insulation. There's dropping along the leading edge, of course right now, I have the wings in a rack with the leading edge down. The area where the nest was, did have some very, very minor, what appeared to be corrosion. I cleaned most of it up with MKE and used a scott brite pad and got the rest. I do want to treat the metal to neutralize any residue, any suggestions, what about Aluminum Prep?

Alumiprep (sp) is an etch and will clean the aluminum. After using that, you must protect the metal. Alodine (sp) or equivalent is usually used. Then prime if you desire. However, if you have ever entered into the prime/no prime debate on the VansAirforce Forum, it is a deep and long hole to drop into. The main thing, if you are going to "prime" select a product that does not leave a porous surface. Most true primers are designed to be covered with a finish coat.

Ralph