Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: rib tail mod

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default rib tail mod

Guys I realize this is an avid flyer not a kitfox but was hoping you could help me out. I have made an aluminum angle plate that was attached to both sides of my rib tail to reinforce the tails. The aluminum is .032 and I riveted it with 3 , 3/16" blind pop rivets as I understood the Kitfox sb9 to require blind rivets but didn't see a call for a particular type. I didn't know the difference in rivets and just got open end pop rivets that break the mandrel off inside the rivet. They are already installed and bonded with adhesive. My question is with my condition inspection coming up in the next 2 months do I need to drill all that out and start with closed end rivets for the extra stregnth of the mandrel? or will an A+P be ok with what I have on the plane as is? Sorry the pics got rotated when downloading to the site. The 1/4" angle that goes out from the rib is on the bottom of the rib just for clarity. Thanks guys
    ps after I did all that and it really stiffened up the ribs I started getting nervous about it affecting a clean inspection. Its my first plane and first conditional coming up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tx_swordguy; 06-05-2017 at 08:06 PM.