Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Here's to old friends.

Default Here's to old friends.

Came across an old friend in an old VHS video.

After seeing the first Aviid at Oshkosh in 1983, then seeing the first
    Kitfox at Oshkosh 1984 flown by Dan Denney, I was completely hooked.
    Maybe a year later I saw an ad in some aviation periodical with a cut out coupon
    you could send in with a check and get this video. Dreaming went into overdrive when this tape arrived and I actually wore out this VHS tape and had to order another.

A big thrill to get to fly the very aircraft that kept me motivated for years to finally acheive and live the dream. I hope Steve Wilson knows how great that day was for me he took me up in 85DD at the Kitfox Aircraft Factory fly in.
    Thanks Steve. Good to know she's in such good hands and still delivering memorable Kitfox adventures and how appropriate 85DD was this website's very first Kitfox of the Month.

Here's to old friends.

Where would we be without them?

https://youtu.be/_IOSUaz2uFI

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Here's to old friends.

I remember growing up while dad was still building the MkIV. Dad would build on weekends and after a long day of building in the garage, would come inside and we'd sit down on the couch and watch this video every now and then.

I do remember another video, with Jimmy Franklin doing low level aeros as well as the many available mods such as floats and the Agricultural Spray Kit.

I wonder how many crop dusting kits were ever sold (and used)

Jono

Wow! Steve. Just, Wow! Thanks for posting. In fact, I'm just on my way out the door to go fly 85DD as we do most mornings.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

She's a large part of our Kitfox history Steve.
    Keep her flying and enjoy every flight.

Juno, that Jimmy Franklin video was so well done. I'm betting it sold a ton of kits and showed many what a sweet flying model the "4" was/is. And wasn't Jimmy an incredible pilot.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Speaking of selling Kits. Why is it that Vans is marketed so much by The EAA as well as other orgs. You can find so much paraphernalia for Vans aircraft, like hats, shirts etc. etc. in their websites and the like. Stickers through Aircraft Spruce and more. If I am not mistaken, Kitfox is one of the more popular Kits but you don't find much mention of it anywhere. Thinking of it deeper, Kitfox seems to not even have a gaggle of aircraft parked together at Airventure like so many of the Kits do. Why is that?
    Eddie

1. Lots of Kitfoxes out there, but probably more RVs.

2. As to why there are more RVs at Oshkosh. I think the main answer is speed.

Think about it this way. Assume the average pilot is willing to fly 3 hours to get to the show. How many Kitfoxes are within a 3 hour flight to the airshow. How many RVs. My rough math says 2.5x more RVs if the density of KF per square mile is equal to that of RVs. But I think there are more RVs.

3. IFR
    Sure the Kitfox can be IFR but how many are. Mine is but has not flown in IFR conditions ever. If it is MVFR I will fly IFR or no go. Thus more days are open to flying.

I flew my Kitfox 9 hours to KOSH in 2003. 3 days to get home due to MVFR weather. A fun adventure for sure. I doubt I will do it again until I am retired.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)