Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone running out of nose up trim on final?

Default Re: Anyone running out of nose up trim on final?

I do believe, if I remember correctly, the factory has the Horizontal rigging set up to ensure that on your first flight you dont have too much nose up trim available. I believe they state they aim for a slightly heavy nose to reduce likelyhood of stalling on initial flight. That rigging change mentioned seems totally reasonable.
    Eddie

Probably some differences between the setup on a IV and the later aircraft - Our early S7 which has the "servo" type trim tabs (as opposed to the current HS trim) would not trim off all the back pressure with flaps out.

For the 5-7, Kitfox has an easy to install trim assist kit which applies some additional up pressure to the elevator when flaps are pulled which mitigates the situation.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

In my Series 5 I used to be able to trim for full flaps landings. Now with the addition of the STi wing and larger elevator I can not, it now requires a decent bit of back pressure on the stick to keep the nose up. I too have been toying with the idea of trying to get a little more aft trim out of it. The issue is I am out of threads on the end of the screw jack to lower the leading edge, so at this point I would need to do a pretty hefty mod to make it work.

I know everyone has their different styles of flying and ways of landing but I always land with full flaps and try to touch down slow, not only to save my bushwheels but I have also always been of the thought process that the faster you land the more grabby your tires are in a side loading situation and therefore more likely to have any loss of control while on the ground. Less time rolling on the ground means less time taunting the ground loop monster Could just be in my head though...

Trent, you are probably right about running out of thread on the actuator on the SS7 also. Cutting the slot lower probably won't do much good.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Trent, you are probably right about running out of thread on the actuator on the SS7 also. Cutting the slot lower probably won't do much good.
    Yeah, cutting the slot won't help without modifying the point that the actuator mounts to the horizontal and moving that to get the leading edge lower. It would be a pretty large endeavor.

When I fly alone, I install a 25 lb shot bag in the baggage compartment, this does help quite a bit for my plane.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!