Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: engine purchase

Default engine purchase

Hi folks,

During your build when did you order your engine and firewall forward? At some point it seems one should have these but I don't want the engine to sit too long either.

Default Re: engine purchase

Build started middle of March. Took delivery of engine in Dec.. Ordered it early since I was certain the price would go up as everything seems to do every year. This past March the price dropped something like $1200. Took Delivery of my firewall forward this past February I think. So, when your working on finishing the covering of the Fuse and wings try to take delivery of the FWF kit. You need it to begin install of the boot cowl and windscreen. I Don't need the engine until the Glass is all installed.
    Eddie

My engine and FWF kit was shipped with the main kit but that's only because I live in another country. The problem with getting the engine very early on is that you have to change the inhibiting oil on a regular basis because it is only effective for a certain time period. I think Eddie's timing looks about right.
    David
    SS7 Builder

for what its worth . my kit and 912 were purchased in 92 or 93, not by me . i acquired the partially completed kit and engine around 2006 . i completed the kit and started the engine in 2008. the engine had never been started until i started it . yesterday i turned over 990 hrs on the engine and airframe . i have a new 912 in the box waiting for me to get up the ambition to install it . i hate to take the plane out of service now we have some good flying weather.
    again, for what its worth , this is just my story . do what your comfortable with
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa