Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Help

Default Help

Hello fellow Kitfoxers
    I did the unthinkable/stupid mistake last week when doing my annual. My battery was 5 years old so I decided be proactive and change it out. Supplier had a slightly larger one which I installed but did not realize the poles were reversed!!
    Anyway now I need a new radio and transponder/encoder. I ordered a new ICOM A220 this morning to replace the A210.
    Wondering if anyone would have a good working Mode C and encoder that is now surplus because of an upgrade.
    The one I had was an original Terra TRT250D that many Kitfoxes came with in the mid 90`s. It has been working OK for the past 6 years.
    Avionics and wiring are not one of my favorite past times so it would be great just to slide in a replacement Terra.
    Any body out there in KitFox country that would have a replacement for the Terra??
    I am so embarressed by this total screw up. I hope you guys are not going to be too hard on me. FOXK was behaving flawlessly.

Default Re: Help

Some radios have internal fuses, did you check?

I am sending the A210 back to ICOM service center. Talked to them this morning and they said it "might" be repairable.
    Thanks
    Don

This might be a good time to upgrade your transponder. If you plan to fly in any controlled airspace in 2010 or after, you will need a mode S (in addition to an ADS-B compatible WAAS GPS receiver).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    This might be a good time to upgrade your transponder. If you plan to fly in any controlled airspace in 2010 or after, you will need a mode S (in addition to an ADS-B compatible WAAS GPS receiver).
    In 2020, you'll need ADS-B out... you don't necessarily need a mode S transponder. Mode C is fine, with the proper UAT & WAAS certified GPS in the USA. If you'll be flying in other countries you may need mode S. Since you're in Canada, Don, I'm not sure what the requirements will be, if any.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hi John
    We are OK here for a few more years with Mode C, as far as I understand. I probably have only a couple of more years as a licensed pilot anyway so I will let the next fellow deal with that.
    Thanks
    Don

Typically the avionics have internal fuses that can be repaired. Depending on your situation, you may want to send them in for repair. If you are looking for an excuse to upgrade, you may now have one :-)

I know someone who did similar several years ago. The radios were all repairable.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

I was testing a whelen strobe power box once and somehow reversed the wires. Smoked it. A friend who is into electronics mentioned the probability of there being a fuse to protect against that ruining the whole works. Sure enough it had a fuse at the very end of the line of current before it hits the negative wire going out. He soldered in a jumper wire past the fuse and it worked again. Of course now with the jumper wire instead of a fuse, it wasn't protected if I did it again. JImChuk

We've all smoked something at some point in the journey. The Terra's are getting harder to come by.

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. New ICOM and Sandia transponder on the way. Removed the glare shield and it sure makes it easier to work behind the panel.
    Hate to miss out flying during this great weather.
    Cheers
    Don