Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing strut question revisited!

Default Wing strut question revisited!

I know this has been ask several times before, but I have only found one measurement in the forums. When trimming the wing strut fairings for the wing fold on the KF-7SS , what is the measurement from the strut attach point to the aft edge of the fairing trim poin?. The only answer I have found is 38-40". Is this what most are using or has anyone found a different measurement works better?

Thanks,

Tom

Default Re: Wing strut question revisited!

Hi Tom,

My belief and experience is that the measurement is only an estimate with a potentially large variation. There are going to be minor variations of the sides of the aircraft due to manufacturing and individual build variations which make an exact measurement difficult.

Another way to approach this is to disregard the measurement, slice off less than what you know is needed....then do a fitting by swinging the wing back, being careful not to contact the fabric, use a stand off marker of some kind and incrementally remove slices of the fairing till you have the gap you want between the fairing and fuselage - I found using the wing lockback braces for the transport kit gave me an ideal position to shoot for.

Removing more is not going to hurt anything - depends on a persons choices.

The answer is sort of like the answer to the question "How much rudder is needed in a crosswind?".....with the answer being - "whatever it takes".
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Based on previous replies, I believe something around 34-35" should be fine on the SS7.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the input guys, it's nice knowing there is a lot of help out here for the asking.

Measurement taken from root end of strut, i get 38".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind