Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting 1200lbs out of a 1050

Default Re: Getting 1200lbs out of a 1050

Are you flying insured? Do you think your insurance will cover you if there is an incident and you are a little over weight? Granted, people do this all the time and get away with it but it is a question you have to answer yourself and be able to live with that answer. Yes, sounding like negative ninny, but as they say $hit happens!

I have been in this game long enough to realize it is generally much more cost (and time) effective to sell what you have if it doesn't fit your mission and buy something that does. Your wallet and conscientious will thank you if there is a problem. It seems that once one starts modifying things, it is a never ending slope. Modify one place and another area needs it also...on and on... JM2C.

I agree with Hunter. Take the opportunity to upgrade to an airframe that is designed to meet your mission.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Quote Originally Posted by redbowen View Post
    I agree with Hunter. Take the opportunity to upgrade to an airframe that is designed to meet your mission.
    This airframe has everything I need with the exception of the gross weight. When I started poking around, I found that the original owner has already reinforced the carry through tubes so I'm going to go with the reinforcement of the spars. I'll be able to get it insured at 1200 (for a higher premium) when I'm done building. Thanks for the advice though. I'm just not ready to sell my current project and start the whole plane buying process all over again.

in the builders log of the kit i obtained partially completed the original owner mentions mods that he had made to increase the gross weight to 1250 . the struts have been replaced with a larger diameter rod . a solid rod was installed inside the cross fuselage tube between the lower strut mounts . i have talked to kitfox and they don't endorse the weight increase mods . the other weak area that does fail is the tubing in the area of where the bungees attach. i have the grove gear so that eliminates that weak area . i have seen reference to the mods being done for use with floats which also wouldn't use the bungee attach points
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

For clarity sake:
    The Model IV 1050 gross to 1200 gross modification mentioned and apparently in your logs was offered by Denny Aerocraft and was done for float operations ONLY.
    Once floats were removed and returned the gear it did not apply and was once again a 1050. This was equivalent of adding the 10-15 percent gross increase when on operating on floats... very similar to what happens on many of the certified aircraft. This has been true to my personal knowledge since 1999. This does not apply to the Model 3.
    There is no test data to substantiate this modification. We also have not been able to find any aircraft "DATA" to support the automatic increase of gross weight by 10-15 percent because it is put on floats.

The mod offered by Denny Aerocraft was to allow the 1050 gross to operate at 1200 when on floats ONLY.. Please note that it was 1200 not 1250.

All that being said.. it is an Experimental. Please be safe!

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

thanks for the clarification, been trying for a long time to get the straight poop . the 1250 was mentioned in the builders log entered by a previous owner.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thank you for posting that Mr. Mcbean!! I see too many people doing modification that they 'heard' were a fix for their problem. Granted, it may have worked for someone, until it doesn't. I see the 'it won't happen to me' attitude all the time.
    What I can't understand are the guys trying to stretch the limit of something that is carrying their very life into the air. Sure, go ahead and take all the chances you want by yourself, but the first time you are carrying a passenger and something happens, you better be prepared for the ensuing lawsuits and condemnation that will come!
    Just my opinion!!!

Does anyone have the instruction and pictures (both rod through carry through tube and strap between strut attach points) of the modification from 1050-1200 for float operation?
    The reason for asking is that I intend to operate the plane on floats and would like to make it as rigid as possible, not to exceed the gross weight limit.