Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox 4 fin size?

Default Kitfox 4 fin size?

I'm looking to modify my Kitfox 2 fin so it is the same size as the later variants. Can anyone help with dimensions as my LAA inspector is insisting we need them and we can't 'guesstimate' (he's no fun!)

Also while the aircraft is stripped I would like to weld in the forward landing gear bracket that Grove utilize for their landing gear. I have been looking and some kitfox 2's have them and some do not? I need the dimension from the other forward bracket if anyone has it?

I subscribe to quite a few other forums but I have to say this is by far the most helpful and congenial of the lot. Well done everybody

Kind regards,
    Steve

Default Re: Kitfox 4 fin size?

Steve,
    I did the same mods to my plane. I don't have the dimensions, but what I did was take a large piece of cardboard and traced around a model IV speedster vertical stabilizer. My A&P used that as a template to reconfigure the vertical stabilizer on my plane. I do remember it added 10 inches to the height of my VS.

You can purchase the nose wheel kit from Kitfox Aircraft. It comes with instructions on how to install/weld in place. One of the main parts of the kit is an "L" shaped plate to weld to the front and bottom of the frame at the firewall. This plate will also help strengthen the structure.

EDIT: I just reread your post. I may have misunderstood what you are doing. It appears you are not adding a nose wheel.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Hi Steve,

I would love to add a nose wheel, I have been looking at your plane for inspiration

The trouble I have is weight! here in the UK the CAA are very strict with regards to maximum weight limits, rightly so I suppose.
    Because I have a Jab fitted it greatly reduces my load capability to such an extent that if I have two fully grown adults it only leaves me 5 liters of fuel!!!

I'm trying to save weight wherever I can buy getting rid or re positioning items as necessary, I have just removed a 6.2lb counter weight from the tail wheel!

I'm also looking into any mods to the fuselage I can do to increase my permitted weight, beef up front carry through tube etc..
    If I can increase the current permitted weight from 950lb/ 432kg all up, to 450kg which is the max for a microlight in the UK I would be more than happy

I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers Steve.
    Kind regards,

Steve

Steve, have you asked Kitfox directly ?. John McBean is contactable via email and he may be able to suggest something. The model you have is most likely before his time there but you never know.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Here are sizes and pictures of the Kitfox 4 classic rudder. Top of rudder just after the radius is 12 1/4" Bottom of rudder is 18" just before the start of the radius. Height is 53" JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good info, Jim. In fact, when I added height to my vertical stab I also added a model IV rudder. So, Steve, one idea is to order a model IV rudder (you'll need to add height to your rudder anyway, and the model IV rudder provides more rudder authority. then just make your Vert Stab fit the new rudder.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Excellent replies gents, I'll get a mk4 rudder on order as it makes perfect sense to make the VS fit accordingly.

Cheers for you help guys

You do realize that the hinges are different from a Kitfox 2 to a 4. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    You do realize that the hinges are different from a Kitfox 2 to a 4. JImChuk
    Cut and Paste (I mean, cut and weld) Actually, If I remember right, only the top hinge was different (if I remember right).
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

No, they are all different. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images