Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912 Oil Pump replacement $$$$$$

Default 912 Oil Pump replacement $$$$$$

My Rotax 912B (4005029) needs to have the oil pump replaced to comply with Service Bulletin SB-912-032UL. My mechanic just informed me that that little jewel will set me back about $2,200 parts, labor and shipping! Yeouch!
    Anybody find a less costly, safe solution?

I'm working with Shamrock Air Services out of Delaware, Ohio. Nice folks. Granted, this engine hasn't been maintained per Rotax recommendations. Here are some other big ticket items they have estimated that you may find of interest:

5 Year Rubber Replacement Parts: $952. Labor: 15 hours at $74/hr
    Overhaul carburetors Parts: $850. Labor: 5 hours at $74/hr
    Gearbox work Parts: $649 Labor: 10 hours at $74/hr
    Annual Condition 12 hours at $74/hr
    Bob & Debbie
    KF IV N1670B
    Campbellsburg, Kentucky

Default Re: 912 Oil Pump replacement $$$$$$

Find a new mechanic. He's milking you.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

holy moly. what year is this engine
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I just looked in my latest LEAF catalog, and they want $691 for the oil pump housing by itself. I didn't see a complete pump, just all the parts. I think if Rotax pointed a gun at you when they told you the price, you might feel a bit better. At least then everyone involved would be admitting that a robbery was taking place. Jim Chuk

Wow,

Can you not do this maintenance yourself? You would be better off to take the repairman's course (if this is an ELSA), it would cost less than these fees.

His plane (as indicated by his signature is a model IV) is already "experimental". He would not need to take any class to do maintenance or modifications to the plane. As the owner he already has that right. The only way this would not be allowed is if his plane was S-LSA.

In an experimental plane the SBs do not need to be complied with in order to be legal. Some Rotax bulletins are necessary but many of these SBs published by Rotax are all about military drone engine problems/failures and really don't apply to "normal" use of the engine. IN MY OPINION: They are published by the Rotax legal department, not the engineering department.

Many A&Ps only look at SBs from the point of view of certificated aircraft world and liability concerns.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Yes, this is an experimental and we are taking liberties in picking and choosing which SBs we pay attention to. Shane and Paul are awesome, responsible, mechanics and will work with you. We have paired down the list considerably and will "defer" the oil pump and a couple other SBs. I heartily recommend them. They maintain the fleet for a couple local flight schools that use Rotax powered aircraft. As you know, once you move beyond "experimental" everything changes when it comes to what you can defer and what you can't.

I have the skills to do some things, but I know my limits. Shane and Paul give me a peace of mind by being honest and trustworthy business people.
    Bob & Debbie
    KF IV N1670B
    Campbellsburg, Kentucky

Just cause I was being lazy and didn't feel like getting outside and doing something productive yet, I went and looked at the service bulliten in question. If I'm reading it right, there are two different options here depending on serial #. Part A or Part B. The part B involves replacing the oil pump shaft assembly which in my LEAF catalog is a $115 part if no other damage is found. As I read this, the engine in question serial # fits the Part B group. Am I reading this right? Here is the SB in question.
    http://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_i...-912-032ul.pdf
    It refers you to this other SB which details what work has to be done.
    http://legacy.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_...sb-912-032.pdf
    Have a look at 3.2 and 3.3 for scope of work for Part A or Part B.
    If I'm reading this all correctly, then changing out a $115 part and getting paid $2200 is a pretty good racket to be in :-) Jim Chuk

While my engine is not in this SB, from what I understand, the problem is not the oil pump, but the driveshaft which in the affected assemblies was constructed of a solid steel shaft with a hollow spring pin driven through it to engage the oil pump. If the pump is not damaged, all that has to go is the shaft which will be replaced with one using a solid pin rather than a hollow pin.

Nobody is going to know that until the thing is taken apart.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Did you know that in the certified world not a single SB has to be complied with either. The manufactures that write the SBs often word them such that you feel you have to comply with them. Again, many of the SBs are written by the legal departments. The only way a SB becomes mandatory is if the FAA makes it an AD. ADs are the only thing that has to complied with in certified aircraft.

Thing is there are not ADs in the experimental world we do need to pay attention to the things the manufacture says. The bottom line is we all need to do the risk/benefit analysis and decide which SBs we are going to do or not. Some SBs make a lot of sense, others are totally unnecessary and some are overly conservative.

I think the Rotax 5 year rubber replacement is super conservative. Personally I would probably go for 8-10 years, paying close attention to them in the latter years during the condition inspections.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016