Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: An Australian Outback adventure

Default An Australian Outback adventure

Hi all. Been a while since I've posted anything of interest. So thought I'd share our latest adventure. 8 days. Approx. 2000nm. 27hrs. Av fuel burn of 17.5 lt/hr. I thought I would make a new post each day for the next 8 days. Hope it inspires others who are still building!

cheers

ross

First a map to show where went went.
    IMG_6084.jpg
    There were 3 aircraft - our Kitfox SS7, Friends Col and Anna in their Super Cub and friends Tony and his mate Jason in Tony's old C180. We left from Col's farm and had a good tailwind for the first leg.
    IMG_0107.jpg
    It wasn't long until Tony and Jason passed us while we slowed down and flew along with Col and Anna.
    IMG_0130.jpg
    We headed for the Opal mining town of White Cliffs the first night and it didn't take long to get out of the nice faring country and into the outback! We stopped off at Ivanhoe for a pee stop. A pretty brisk crosswind and about 20 Kangaroos met us there.
    IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    A couple of happy Kitfox flyers!
    IMG_0118.jpg
    Finally on the ground at White cliffs after a pretty spirited cross wind landing - 20 knots 30 degrees off the nose! But it was a good first day!!
    IMG_5786.jpg
    IMG_5812.jpg
    We visited the underground hotel and enjoyed an evening at the White Cliffs pub with the locals.
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: An Australian Outback adventure

What a great trip Ross, I hope you leave a little pice of Aus un-explored for when I eventually take to the air...
    I recognise that Cub and 180!
    Its a testament to the Kitfox (and of course your build) the places you've taken it already! I better keep building...!
    Regards Ben

Victoria Australia
    S7 Kitfox 233

I just ratcheted up my build speed a bit to Mach 1. Salivating at the thought that one day .......
    David
    SS7 Builder

Underground hotel? Do elaborate please. Never heard of such a thing.

I look forward to us having all three Kitfox together shortly Ben and Dave!
    Re the underground hotel see: http://undergroundmotel.com.au/proje...le-beginnings/

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Default An Australian Outback adventure - Day 2

Our plan for this trip was to put in 2 solid flying days to get us to Birdsville - the start of the Simpson desert where we wanted to centre our adventure. Day one and day two where very close to the same mileage - about 360nm.
    Day 2 saw a great sunrise and again a forecast for a nice, if not strong, tailwind. It was good to see the three aircraft tied down well.
    IMG_5804.jpgOur take off was spirited into a 20kt breeze 45' off the nose. We decided to head for the Dig Tree - an historical site in Australia regarding a ill fated exploration journey by Burke and Wills - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_...lls_expedition
    IMG_5821.jpg
    For other ozzies panning to visit the Dig Tree, be aware that it is hard to spot from the air and can easily be confused with another strip about 3 miles to the NE. It is a nice sandy strip but be careful after rain.
    IMG_5833.jpg
    There is a local guy employed as a ranger to help visitors get the most from their visit - well worth the stop!
    IMG_5821.jpg
    Leaving the Dig Tree we headed straight to Birdsville which involved flying over the Strezleki desert - there was no doubt we were now very outback Australia!
    IMG_0139.jpg
    Birdsville is famous for its annual outback race meeting - an iconic event in Australia when the population of the town increases from around 70 to 7000!
    Birdsville is VERY remote and half the attraction is the trip to get there - by plane or by 4WD.
    This is the Birdsville race track....
    IMG_0144.jpg
    Approaching Birdsville - you can see the main sealed strip which allows for large aircraft to arrive for the races.
    IMG_0150.jpg
    However, we dont like landing on sealed runways with our Airstreak 26" so we always find a bit of dirt besides the main runway.
    IMG_0152.jpg
    The rest of the evening was centred on enjoying the experience that is the experience of the Famous Birdsville Pub!
    IMG_5841.jpg
    We enjoyed the sunset on the benches outside the pub.
    IMG_5843.jpg
    While we watched the sunset an indigenous guy arrived and parked out front - He went inside and his dog took up his posiiton that he ( apparently) does every night!
    IMG_5845 (1).jpg

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Beautiful country Ross. Great adventures made possible by your choice of aircraft and talented building skills. You've also officially put to rest the notion that this aircraft may not be suitable for cross country flights. Next time a pilot comes up to the airshow booth and asks if this can do cross country flights, I'm showing your trip photos.

On a side note. My nephew moved to Melbourne two years ago. He met a beautiful girl there and fell in love with her, the city and your incredible country and people. They will be returning to the States along with her parents and an uncle to be married in Las Vegas, NV next week. Then on a short honeymoon to one of his favorite American cities Seattle, Washington to show her the sites of our spectacular North West. Then to Phoenix for a few days and back to Australia to start their new life. I now have a really strong pull besides your Kitfox adventures to go down under for a visit.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

So when does the book and vid come out Ross ??!!. Spectacular. We live in a great country. Can't wait to get to the Birdsville races .....

And Steve, if you come to Aus, you'll also be welcomed by the Aus Kitfox family.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Those trips you take are really impressive. People ask me all the time, "how far can you fly in that plane"? I always tell them how much fuel it has and how fast it is so we extrapolate the distance. Can you tell us how long your longest leg has been while on these trips you take? Just Curious.
    Eddie

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Just awesome.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW