Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: dle's Oz Build

Default Re: dle's Oz Build

I'll be very interested to hear of your experiences with the Explorer Lite, David. Are you fitting autopilot servos? Do you have the magnetometer, new SP12 GPS, or Extender?

I got pretty handy at designing the screens for my (eventual) machine but haven't looked at them for a while as I think I've pretty much got them how I want them. This will last until 2 seconds after I turn it on for the first time an realise I want something different.....but that's the nice thing about MGL, you can make your own

No IPad Dave? Oz Runnways or AvPlan? The amount of nav/weather/traffic/ stuff these have now makes the almost my main screen! Could easily mount one on the front of the glovebox!?

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    I'll be very interested to hear of your experiences with the Explorer Lite, David. Are you fitting autopilot servos? Do you have the magnetometer, new SP12 GPS, or Extender?

I got pretty handy at designing the screens for my (eventual) machine but haven't looked at them for a while as I think I've pretty much got them how I want them. This will last until 2 seconds after I turn it on for the first time an realise I want something different.....but that's the nice thing about MGL, you can make your own
    Hey Paul,

No autopilot - at this stage - but yes, I have a Magnetometer mounted in the LH wing. I may fit an extender, depending on whether I connect the AoA plumbing from my pitot post, which is a Garmin (I think). Don't know anything about the SP12 GPS. Will look it up.

I've designed a startup screen which has the usual suspects - Oil Press., Tacho, fuel press. etc, and am currently working on couple of others, including the flight instruments and engine module. I haven't loaded anything to the unit yet, but I had quite a time understanding how the file architecture hangs together. I'm gradually getting there. Fingers crossed it all works and transfers to the unit seamlessly.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    No IPad Dave? Oz Runnways or AvPlan? The amount of nav/weather/traffic/ stuff these have now makes the almost my main screen! Could easily mount one on the front of the glovebox!?

r
    Hi Ross. You've nailed the initial plan, which was to attach an iPad to the glovebox door. I'm making the attachment to do that but I've started rethinking use of the Garmin. A standard iPad seems to fit neatly in the Garmin cutout, so throwing both ideas up in the air right now, although it would be a pity not to use the Garmin as it's a useful device. And I plan on using AvPlan mainly because my aerobatics instructor friend swears by it - and he happens to know the owner of Avplan very well ! But Paul has mentioned the MGL GPS module Sp12 .... may look at that as yet another possibility. The choice these days is amazing ....
    David
    SS7 Builder

The SP12 basically gives you certified GPS (SIL = 3). That really wouldn't have an effect on an iPad but it's useful if you want to provide certified GPS to an extended squitter to enable ADSB Out from an appropriate transponder. This is what they're doing in the UK and it's what CASA is considering as well. It's a cheap way of getting ADSB Out

In my Eurofox I'll be fitting a Guardian Avionics iPad Mini mount, so the iPad is flush mounted and not hanging off the end of some RAM mount. It will be getting its GPS signal from a traffic awareness device in the UK, known as Pilot Aware and will then have Sky Demon as its nav software. The RV8 I've been playing with has got Oz Runways on the Skyview. Either one works but I've had a play with AvPlan and Oz Runways and prefer the latter.

I assume you've seen the posts on the MGL Forum regarding screen designing etc, particularly those by Dutchroll? Also, the Openmaps thingy for free raster maps works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    The SP12 basically gives you certified GPS (SIL = 3). That really wouldn't have an effect on an iPad but it's useful if you want to provide certified GPS to an extended squitter to enable ADSB Out from an appropriate transponder. This is what they're doing in the UK and it's what CASA is considering as well. It's a cheap way of getting ADSB Out ...............

I assume you've seen the posts on the MGL Forum regarding screen designing etc, particularly those by Dutchroll? Also, the Openmaps thingy for free raster maps works very well.
    Hi Paul, thanks, I didn't know that SP12 existed until you mentioned it so I looked at it on the MGL SA site. Looks to be the goods. I have a Trig Xpdr which is S mode and extended squitter enabled I believe and I do have ADS-B Out in mind at a later time. At the moment I just want to get my build to Phase 1 readiness before I start adding any bells or whistles, but this looks to be a good way forward.

I have joined the MGL forum and have seen Dutchroll's posts. Those posts have helped somewhat.
    David
    SS7 Builder

And so it begins..... This is the part of the build I have no experience in at all and it's one I've been looking forward to, although with some apprehension. I wasn't a star student in my Elec. Eng classes. All the how-to-do-it reading's been done (Bob Knucolls, foremost among them), the schematics produced - for most circuits - and even though I think I've got it all in my head, there's still that doubt. It feels like the first exam I sat for my degree many years ago, but this time I've got to actually do stuff, and not just regurgitate facts and figures. So the main objective, as others have said, is to contain the smoke and make sure that when I press button "A" I don't bring on max nose up at Vne or blow up the avionics. The photos make it look shambolic - which it is to begin with - but thankfully those schematics show me what goes where. More than happy to share doubts, mistakes, successes and raw/unvarnished photos if someone else can benefit from it....

So diving in at the deep end (for me at least), here we go ! ........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David
    SS7 Builder

Felt the same Dave! But drawing the wiring diagram and having someone who knows better check it with me helped get the logic clear -after a while it became pretty easy actually. Only tip is get good crimpers, wire strippers and side cutters .... and to label every wire! I just used us a label printer and heat shrink.

go well!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

G’day Ross. Yes, I bought a good labeling machine and am using it extensively. The other tools I already have. My wiring will be “rough but honest” .... probably the best way to describe it !!. With my removable boot cowl I can access all of it quite easily.
    David
    SS7 Builder

One fairly obvious tip (to everyone else but me) is not to label the wires all at the same place (usually at the end of the wire). Doing this can often result in a big bulge of wires + their labels when they go into something like a D-Sub connector. Guess how I know this

(Labels snipped off and then staggered along the wires)