Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912 vs Great Plains

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rotax 912 vs Great Plains

Just getting information and past experience with the Great Plains VW engines. Pros and Cons.

Default Re: Rotax 912 vs Great Plains

Pros with VW, there way way cheaper,

Cons:

No factory supported firewall forward components
    Historically poor performance on these planes
    Need to turn a small diameter prop or have a heavy redrive
    Trial and error on fixed pitch wood propellers, expect to buy several
    Constant problems with cooling

By the time you factor in buying several propellers, engine mount custom fabrication and all of the R&D needed to get an unsupported package flying, you will have a comparable amount of money and a lot more time invested as if you would have started with a 912.

If you truly enjoy the experimental part of experimental aviation, which some people really do, I would recommend staying with a proven and supported power package.

A friend of mine recently went through all of this trying to get an AeroVee to work in a Just Escapade. Three years and thousands of dollars wasted he cut his losses and is now happily flying behind a used 912.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

A member of our club tried (is trying) a VW conversion in his KitFox It has been 4 years since he started his journey and he probably has less than 10hrs on it due to reliabiity concerns. Just when he thinks he has it worked out something else comes up that he has to fix.
    In the meantime I replaced the 582 in my Classic IV and put 60hrs on it in the first 60 days.
    If you want to fly get a 912, if you want to tinker (some do) then get an auto conversion.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Norm,

Did you replace it with another 582, or upgrade to a 912? We have a very old NIB 582 that we need to make a decision about. Have a full inspection service done, trade for a new/rebuilt one, or upgrade to a 912.

Chris
    Chris Snyder
    Richmond, VA
    Kitfox 4 582 - Building

Sorry I thought I said I upgraded to the 912. As I reread it I see I did not.

If you can afford the upgrade to a 912 that is a great route to go. I found a older, low priced 912 and that made it an easy choice for me. I would not hesitate to fly a 582 on a KitFox as I have about 600hrs behind a 582 in my old plane. That being said I love the 912 for smooth ride and feel. Sorry if I am no help in giving you a direction to go between the 582 and the 912 but I think that is strictly a matter of finances and affordability.
    I am happy I went with the 912.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV