Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Replace older style dash header tank

Default Replace older style dash header tank

We are finishing an older Kitfox 4 kit and it came with a header tank that holds a very small instrument panel in the "cutout". I do not see any pictures online where people are using these tanks. Clearly we are very limited in our instruments. Would it be better to get the header behind the seats to open our dash options? Seems like it to me, but we are trying to "keep things simple". I'd love any advice you all could offer

Thanks!
    Chris

Default Re: Replace older style dash header tank

I have the panel tank in my model 4. They are simple. It holds 9 gallons. It came with my Kit in 1994. I also have 2 13 gallon wing tanks but only installed the one in the right wing. I very seldom put any fuel in it.

My kit was an introduction offer for the classic 4. $14,000 for a complete airplane. The engine is a 52 horse Rotax 503. It was what I could afford.

My plan was to build the plane and fly it while I saved up for a 912 and upgrade the panel etc. 23 years later I'm still flying it as you see in the 30 second video. It flys beautifuly and is what I can afford.

If I had it to do over I would install the behind the seat header and large panel.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Default Re: Replace older style dash header tank

I have one just like that new never had gas put in it. for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by SoaringVA View Post
    We are finishing an older Kitfox 4 kit and it came with a header tank that holds a very small instrument panel in the "cutout". I do not see any pictures online where people are using these tanks. Clearly we are very limited in our instruments. Would it be better to get the header behind the seats to open our dash options? Seems like it to me, but we are trying to "keep things simple". I'd love any advice you all could offer

Thanks!
    Chris