Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912Is Terminal Position Assurance?

Default 912Is Terminal Position Assurance?

For you 912Is guys out there. I am starting to wire my HIC connectors using the Faston connectors. The Rotax manual says as part of connecting the pins to "Press down white integral terminal position assurance (TPA) with needle nose pliers until audible click is heard". This is step 3 before the pin is inserted into the HIC receptacle. I don't know what this is. I did get some white pins that will fit into any of the slots, but I don't know what it does or how its used to insert the pins. Any help would be appreciated. Unfortunately, I did slide one of the white pins into a slot and now its locked in there.

Thanks!

Eric

Default Re: 912Is Terminal Position Assurance?

If Im not mistaken, the terminal connector is a black plug with a white inner part that slides out. I thought that after the pins are inserted this white part is pushed back inside the black housing and it clicks into position and locks the pins in. I could be wrong as I read the instructions a month ago and haven't done this yet myself. There are YouTube videos that demonstrate this. Not real sure why needle nose would be needed. In the video its just pushed in by hand.
    Eddie

Thanks Eddie. I did notice the white part of the connector does slide in and out just a bit. The odd thing here is that they put this step before the pin is inserted. or at least that is the way I am reading it. If it was to lock the pin in place, one would think that step would be after all the pins were inserted. What do you think?

Eric

Inserted pins can be removed with a pin extractor. The extractor costs $20,+.
    it can be purchased from Allied electronics, however it is nothing more than a 7/8th in long stainless pin .038 dia mounted in a 1-3/4th plastic handle. Molex P/N is 63813-1500. It is used with MX-150 and MX-150L connectors.

Forgot to ask. Can you post the link to the youtube video you found?

Eric

Also, there are two sizes of pins in the connector kit. One must be careful to install them in the correct sockets. The crimping tool has separate anvils for the two sizes.

Good morning Eric.
    I apologize if I have lead you astray but It was my Vertical Power connector that I saw being employed in the video. It is a very similar connector and I believe its the same type. So, If its any help you can see what it is I saw at
    http://verticalpower.com/vp-x/. You will find the second Vimeo video titled Wiring your vertical power. The connector pinning will be found at 3min 10sec.
    Eddie

Thanks Eddie. I now see what you mean. I was able to remove the white filler pin and I actually pulled the white part of the connector up just a little, then inserted the pin. There is only one way the pin should go in & if done right will snap into place. Thanks for the help!

Neville, I checked all the pins that came with the HIC A and HIC B connectors and they are all the same. I understand that the X3 connector is completely different. Is that what you were referring to?

Eric

The end of the pin which will be crimped to a wire comes in two sizes in order to accept different wire sizes. Refer to installation manual on page 26 of 24-00-00, electrical section. Some wires are AWG 16 and others are AWG 18. The crimper is also available at Allied for +/- $ 70.00. It has two sets of anvils for the different size pins. PS. My reference to the manual page location is from a page of Edition 1/Rev1 of 07/01.2014. The page may be different in the latest revision

Neville, I now see what your talking about. Very subtle for sure. My manual is a few months older than yours and does not mention it, so I will try to see if I can find a later edition. I do have the tool required so I should be set. Thanks for letting me know about that, I don't think I would have noticed it otherwise.

Eric