Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: About to rebuild my carbs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: About to rebuild my carbs

Unofficially, any fuel proof epoxy will work. (JBWeld)

Another piece of advise, if your floats weigh fine, DO NOT REPLACE THEM. Seriously, if they ain't broke don't replace them!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

This is ancient history, but my tendency now would go with the ain't broke advice - with the exception of the diaphragm and other more fragile parts. When I did my overhaul in the old days, the first attempt at a test flight resulted in a very rough running engine with fuel all over the place below the vent tubes. I learned that they had sent another needle version that didn't stop fuel flow into the already "full" float bowls. I replaced with the old needles.and put another 600 hours on the airplane. A note on ultrasonic cleaning. What is being used as the fluid in the ultrasonic bath. The reason I ask is that there are numerous chemicals that can be used that would not harm epoxy but would loosen sediments for rinsing. Is the fluid prescribed by Rotax?
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks for the JBweld advice, I also weighed the floats and they are fine. The only parts I replaced were O-rings and the diaphragm. They are all back together, the throttle action is noticeably smoother, the 0-ring was sticky and gunked up. Hopefully in the plane next weekend.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Lowell, plain water will remove/loosen the epoxy in a heated ultrasonic cleaner. I usually use water with a couple drops of dawn dish soap.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Mr Fin,

Good decision to do your own carb work. I made the mistake of sending my carbs, that were working fine, to a "leading" vendor. The estimated cost was $500, actual came in at over $1,100. The most aggravating part was the fact that they returned home with 3 of the 4 floats defective. Then the next insult was refusal by means of ignoring me to at least replace the defective floats. This was happening simultaneous with the first defective float crisis. I know this is not typical and for those of you who want to make excuses I will agree in advance that it's probably the way I packed them for shipping which caused the faulty workmanship.

Another solution is new carbs from an ebay seller that has pairs from time to time at $350 NIB with throttle sensor for turbo on one of the units.
    Where they originated from I have no idea but that's what I've been flying for the last 60 hours trouble free.

By the way I remember your exceptionally nice Kitfox from the Northeast Regional Flyin hosted by Chris Engler.

Sorry to hear of the troubles, sounds like you got quite a deal on new ones! I just have to touch up a few sealed ports and I think I am good to go. We should piggyback on an existing flyin (hosting our own was too complicated).
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Sorry to hear of the troubles, sounds like you got quite a deal on new ones! I just have to touch up a few sealed ports and I think I am good to go. We should piggyback on an existing flyin (hosting our own was too complicated).
    Sounds like a plan Finn, lets keep an eye out for a centrally located flyin this summer. would be good to see a bunch of Noreasters again. Bruce N199CL