Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ultra sonic cleaner for Bing Carbs

Default Ultra sonic cleaner for Bing Carbs

Anyone used an ultra sonic cleaner for their carbs? Usually just a good soak in carb cleaner and I'm good to go. Sometimes there is that stubborn particle that is left behind and while browsing through my latest Harbor Freight catalog, I saw one but think it is quite small for most carbs. The reviews state that it is too small for a motorcycle carb so I am looking for something a little larger. Anyone here using one and could recommend a reasonably priced model that can fit an average carb. Definitely don't need an industrial type unit as this is not something I need to use often.

Default Re: Ultra sonic cleaner for Bing Carbs

When I took Light Sport Repairman class I was told not to use an ultrasonic cleaner because of some epoxy plugs in the carb. Brian said something to the effect, that it would be detrimental to the epoxy.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

It very efficiently removes that epoxy like any other contaminate.

The epoxy is over the steel balls pressed into the blind holes in the carb body. It will need to be replaced.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    It very efficiently removes that epoxy like any other contaminate.

The epoxy is over the steel balls pressed into the blind holes in the carb body. It will need to be replaced.
    LOL...spoken from experience I am guessing? Replacing a little epoxy is simple if the cleaner does what it's supposed to do...clean.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten ft pole. If it removes epoxy, what about Loctite. I don't want to have to be concerned about finding every little pressed in ball that may or may not have been epoxied or Loctited, and then try to properly replace it. If you are really expert and totally know what you are doing fine, but I don't put myself in that class. Maybe for a few individual parts that obviously have no plugged holes, etc. This is just me, kind of old fashioned-carb cleaner and compressed air has worked fine for a long time.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS