Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortelators

Default Vortelators

Just wondering if anyone has experience with installing vortelators on their propeller and/or airframe?
    Aircraft Spruce and California Power sell them and their ads claim good results but not sure if it's worthwhile.

Default Re: Vortelators

I had to look it up. Never heard of a vortelator before...

ACS Link
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Big difference in the certified ones vs the home built ones, Is that 33 bucks for one strip of tape or is it for 1 prop?

Its enough for a 3 blade prop.
    They have a kit for airframe and wings for $200++ and claim less drag= more efficient cruise but not sure.
    Last edited by GMKman; 01-07-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Very interesting. For $33 it looks cheap and easy enough to try. I'm surprised after learning of these that no one makes a prop with these already molded into the surface.

OK who is gonna be the first to buy and try , then let the rest of us know. Sounds to good to be true, I have never heard of them until tonight. Bruce N199CL

Stumbled across it while inquiring about prop mods for my IO240 driven sensenich wood prop. Its a 74 ek2 58 which I think is too much prop for the power and don't want to spend $$$ on a new prop yet.
    I guess $35 isn't too much to spend (or waste) on an effective mod. Or a snake-oil sale...

I'm sure it works, it's an airfoil and it's the same as putting vortex generators on our wings. The question is whether the difference would be quantifiable or noticeable on our planes.

Quote Originally Posted by GMKman View Post
    Stumbled across it while inquiring about prop mods for my IO240 driven sensenich wood prop. Its a 74 ek2 58 which I think is too much prop for the power and don't want to spend $$$ on a new prop yet.
    I guess $35 isn't too much to spend (or waste) on an effective mod. Or a snake-oil sale...
    Hey Brad, I have an IO-240 powered Series 5 , that I have 2 wood sensenich props for, one is a climb prop for winter ops and the other is my rest of the year prop that yields the best all around performance. Can you explain what you mean by too much prop for the power? I too have always searched for the best prop for the IO-240 , but its an expensive PROPosition (no pun intended) to shotgun buy new props without significant results. Bruce N199CL

Hey Bruce, I'm probably not very good at describing my prop. My static, full throttle rpm on the ground is only around 2250-2300. In level cruise, 2300 rpm. yields approximately 120mph depending on density alt. conditions etc.
    Full throttle, I never see the higher hp. rpms 2550-2800.
    I would like to get more of a climb pitch prop I guess is what I'm saying.
    In my mind, if I can reach VNE and max rpm. at the same time (which neither one of those I want to be at) then I'll have a good combo of climb and cruise.
    I definitely value other opinions from you guys with more experience with IO240s though.
    Any thoughts?
    Brad