Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here, Big Fan, I think?

Default New here, Big Fan, I think?

I have been a Kitfox fan (even though I have never actually seen one in person) since the mid 90's. By then I had been flying RC for 20 years and so wanted to build a Kitfox. Then I got my license in '96 and all the cool crowd was flying RV4's at my airport. So I got my tailwheel endorsement in a J3 and finished one of the first RV8's in 1999. But now.... Back to thinking sell the RV and get a Kitfox. But, wow, you guys don't seem to want to sell them!
    Keith
    Have RV8, but Kitfox my first love

Default Re: New here, Big Fan, I think?

why would you sell the rv8. I have an rv7 and I wouldn't sell that. I also have the Kitfox 4, I don't want to sell that either.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Got bored with it actually. I only ever really wanted to just fly around with the doors open on a nice summer evening. Don't travel so don't need to go 200 mph. Yank and bank was fun though. Not sure what direction I will end up doing.

It is hard to find late model kitfoxes for sale, so why not build yourself a Kitfox? If you already have built an RV8 you certainly have the skills to do a Kitfox in jig time.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Definitely checked that option, can't justify the cost of all new. besides, i'm old and lazy now.

Shoot, if we were closer in proximity, we could trade airplanes once in a while and have the best of both worlds! Bruce N199CL

Hello Keith.

What about a swap?

I have a really nice KF 5

Show me yours and I'll show you mine......

Happy new year!

Reid

Smile Re: New here, Big Fan, I think?

I can understand getting bored with a go fast airplane. If you don't have a need for high speed travel the Kitfox is a lot more fun to fly, as you can go places the go fast plane can't, and you can enjoy the scenery more, as you can fly low and slow much safer.

Besides being so much fun to fly, the Kitfox truly is one of the most practical aircraft to own as it has to be one of the most versatile aircraft ever designed. It is a decent back country bush plane, a great ski plane, a fantastic float plane, and a very reasonable cross country cruiser. And fuel burn will probably be half of most other aircraft. So there isn't much not to like.

With your building skills, if it were me I would build a new Super Sport. If you can use a reasonable priced used engine, used radios and instruments, prop, etc, you could end up with a really valuable late model Kitfox that is done just the way you want one. And you will have less money in it than what you could buy one for.

You're right, not too many of us are willing to give up our Kitfoxes. And that situation seems to be getting worse, not better lately. But the good thing is that the factory still sells kits

Wish I could take back the "big Fan I think?" quote. I only phrased it that way because I have never actually seen a KitFox in person, even though I bought the promotional VHS from the factory and dreamed about building one in my dining room back in the early 90's! Thanks for the support about being able to build a "7, and Im sure I could, but I think I really like the IV's. Just plain and simple and fun.

I can appreciate your attraction to the Model 4. There is something extra cool about them too.