Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hangar required?

Default Hangar required?

Morning all,

I am a glider pilot and training in an Aeronca Champ, hope to get LSA sign off this summer.

Seriously liking a Kitfox, it checks all the boxes for me but I have concerns about it sleeping outside. In the winter we get snow, ice, all the bad stuff so it would be tucked away in my garage; but for summer will the material stand up to rain etc.? We don't get hail here so that's not a concern.

I fly out of 5B2 where all the hangars are rented out, will have to tie it out.

Thanks, Dan

Default Re: Hangar required?

My experience with the few fabric planes I have owned, if at all possible, rent a hangar. With the KF you can fold the wings and may be able to share hangar rent with someone which will cut your hangar expenses. Or get a trailer and bring it home to your garage. Enclosed trailer may be another opton.

There are guys that keep fabric covered planes out in the elements in the north country and they are ok as long as the snow gets swept off and most guys will try and install wing covers to hopefully cut down on the UV damage. I kept my Champ on floats outside for two summers and my advice would be to find a hangar if possible. These reasons are the main deciding factor in what I decided to build. Probably not good posting another airplane on a Kitfox dedicated sight but I am currently building a Murphy Rebel, all metal and they can actually be found for around the same price as a KF.

The newer fabrics do last a long time but I personally don't like leaving a fabric covered plane sitting out in the elements. My Champ's paint got dull and stained from bird dropping and UV damage.

Good Luck!

another option that I have heard about is using an enclosed trailer storing it on airport property either at the tie downs or off a taxi way in the grass. If done I would suggest you tie it down somehow incase there is a wind storm. Still have to unload etc and a trailer isn't cheap, but it is an option. Then once a hanger comes up, sell the trailer.
    Mark

I once had a canvas shop custom build a cover for my Avid (aka Kitfox) that allowed me to zip it up in a tight fitting cover with the wing folded. I had it made because my plane was on floats on my beach tied down with no protection. It worked really well, wasn't even affected by large hail as it basically "tented" the wing, so hail just bounced off. I also used it sometimes when trailering. Oh, and when tied down and in its cocoon, it was about Impossible to have high wind concerns as the wings being folded provided zero lift.

Just another advantage of an easy folding wing airplane.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think you will get plenty of water inside the plane if it's left outside all the time. A good fabric job is supposed to last many years, but that's just one part of these planes. There have been issues with the rib tails rotting off on the earlier (before Kitfox 4) Kitfoxes and Avids as well. Weather is tough on things. Easy to fold the wings, many people do it every time they fly. JImChuk

Jim, awesome advice and another point I had forgotten about. Yes, the fact of water getting in and rotting, corroding, or causingold was definitely a problem I had also.

Av8rps...dang, that was a cool idea! Something the OP can surely think about. Was it easy to put on? Growing up on a farm and using canvas tarps, I am wondering if it was cumbersome and heavy. I do like the idea though.

I am in the "it needs to be "hangered" camp. I keep mine in a covered trailer at the airport in a tie-down spot. I leave it here in Florida year around and haven't had any ill effects caused by the elements, and have watched other planes on the field just rot away even though they are in "shade hangers". In a few years the cost of the trailer will be made up by the difference in cost of a tie-down vs hanger rent, and will definitely be cheaper than the deterioration of your plane.

If you aren't going to fly in the winter, park your trailer at home and save the tie-down fee, and free up the garage for your wife's car for the winter. that alone could add value to having the trailer.

Louie

Default Hangar required?

I say spend the money and put the bird in a hangar. The other commenters have posted many valid reasons why fabric covered aircraft should be stored "indoors", but I would add one of the things I really enjoy about my KF is the spontaneity of flight it affords me. Specifically, I can drive to my airport, pull my KF from the hangar, perform a preflight inspection and be wheels up in 30 minutes or less. That is great when get a whim to go flying and can do so without dealing with unfolding wings and/or trailering to the airport. To me it is worth the monthly hangar fee.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Thanks guys.

There are no hangars available at the airport, there is one next to a grass strip about two miles from my house, gotta talk to the homeowner. The trailer is a good idea, wonder how many you can fit in a shipping container.

Dan

As far as I am concerned, a grass strip trumps asphalt any day.

I have often wondered if a shipping container would work. A tape measure would answer the question.

Louie