Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 912 engine preheater

Default Re: 912 engine preheater

For the amount of money we put into our planes, I can not understand why some people get cheap on a heating system. The idea of sweeping up ashes crossed my mind more than once.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Now that Paul brought up the fire possibility. Here is something I've been doing lately. I turn off the fuel. Lately my fox has been leaking fuel out the right carb. ya, I know fix it. Well I haven't quit yet figured out why. let it sit a couple days and I see a spot of fuel on the floor. Pulled the cover off and it's coming out the air filter. could it be the floats, they seem ok. could it be the needle and seat. could it be just the fact that now I have 28 tires in the front and the nose is higher, could be. I can change the floats, want the blue ones. also waiting to see how they work out. Or in my case, I just turn the fuel off. Now I have a new problem, what if... what if I leave it off and take a flight and it doesn't do anything until I hit the throttle, may not work that way, but I worry about that. so what I do, redneck I know. but I take a piece of duck tape and put it on my altitude indicator. The first thing I do when I get in the plane is adjust for altitude. yup works great. so I grab the tape and turn on the fuel than get in the plane. works for me. now there is no chance of fuel and vapor in the hangar when pre heating. that piece of tape gets stuck on the right stick or somewhere like that out of the way after I take it off. just what I do. now a lot of people have a carb drip pan under their carb, what if, there is still fuel there after sitting. just some thoughts.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Several years ago, first preflight after my condition inspection, when I tried to sump the gascolator.. no fuel flow. I forgot to turn the fuel back on. Test it, maybe that will be your warning the fuel is off.

Ralph

I turn my fuel off after the last flight of the day, and I have forgotten to turn it back on a few times. Its no problem because the engine will start OK but start to cough very soon, long before the warmup is complete. No real danger of having it quit on takeoff.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I turn my fuel off after each flight as well and have the same experience of not worrying about forgetting to turn it on , because it won't run long enough with it turned off to get into trouble.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Do you think fuel injected systems might last longer before stuttering?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Do you think fuel injected systems might last longer before stuttering?
    I have a FI Continental engine and am unable to prime my engine if the selector is off. The boost pump is between the header tank and selector.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Simple fix here guys is to put a liitle red flag with an alligator clip on your master switch anytime you shut off a fuel valve. You will never forget to turn it back on. Bruce N199CL

who hijacked this thread?

Thread Migration? It's as insidious project migration.

Ralph