Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Builders

Default Re: Colorado Builders

Hey, just be warned. We have all been looking at John's build and if you go there you may become discouraged after seeing it for yourself. He seems to be using NASA level build criteria. LOL. We all wish we could build like him.
    Eddie

John, hope your wife is going to be OK.

And yes, John's building skills are top shelf.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Eddie and Steve - you guys will give me a reputation I can't live up to. Thank you for the nice compliments. Kevin - pay no attention to these guys!

I had a '48 Plymouth when I was young... shoehorned a 283 Chevy V8 & the drive train from a '59 station wagon and a Spark-O-Matic floor shifter in it. It had a few dents. It wasn't a real pretty car (original paint even!) but it was a real sleeper for driving around Butte, Montana. It also had a back seat as big as my living room sofa. I think my Kitfox will be a little like that - it won't be showy, but it'll be solid.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hey John, when were you in Butte Mt? I was working there in 1973 and 74 building houses and Fairmont Hot Springs Resort. Jim Chuk

Hi Jim,

I lived in Butte from 1964 into 1973 when my wife & I moved to Denver (she was born & raised in Butte).

Fairmont (used to be called Gregson Hot Springs) was a fun place to go when we were young.
    Last edited by jrevens; 12-21-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I've seen photo's of some of your work, I know photo's always look better than real life. However, your photo's are very, very, very impressive, if I could do half as well I'd be grinning.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,
    Paul Z
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    it won't be showy, but it'll be solid.
    If yours isn't showy, mine is a bag of turds
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    If yours isn't showy, mine is a bag of turds
    Then mine doesn't even have the bag...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Wow... I'm not sure what to say. The last 2 comments made me laugh, but I guess I should explain my "showy" comment. It was not only an attempt to be humble, but was truly a sincere comment. I'm a very detail oriented guy, but only about certain things. The scheme or look of my Kitfox will be very simple and "plain jane". It pales in comparison to so many of the truly beautiful ones. There are so many builders I know who not only build with fine detail and innovation, but also design & produce beautiful paint schemes and other details that truly make an airplane "showy". Stan Specht, the Desert Fox guys, Lowell Fitt, John McBean & his crew... I could go on and on. I guess that after concentrating on the details that are important to me I just kinda' run out of steam, evidently unlike so many other builders.

A quick story - years ago I designed & built a cabin heat box that was used on all kinds of aircraft all over the world. I had built several hundred & sold them through Aircraft Spruce & others, entirely by hand, until I got smart & had a buddy in California make some steel-rule dies & cut out the flat pieces for me. The design was perhaps a little fancier than it needed to be, and my friend said this to me - "John, you are not building a watch, you're building an airplane part". Anyway, that's just the kind of guy I am.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

That reminds me of my good friend and mentor, Dave, who helped me greatly with the Mangy. He would grab me when I started going over the top with some little detail and say, "Hey, this is only an airplane! You ain't building a Church!!"
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos