Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: re-arching an aluminum tailwheel spring

Default re-arching an aluminum tailwheel spring

Is it possible to re-arch an aluminum tailwheel spring? I know steel is done all the time but not sure of the aluminum. wasn't wanting to put a drastic bend but just bring it up a bit. I have a 12 ton press and a 20 ton pipe bender. While the pipe bender would be ideal angle wise I am not sure if the unsupported center of the die (where the pipe actually sits) would support the spring enough. I tend to think the press is the better choice.
    Thanks Mark

Default Re: re-arching an aluminum tailwheel spring

I think a lot depends on the specific alloy and heat treatment. Years ago, I was making some specialty parts using 7075- T6. At full heat treatment, bending was nearly impossible without hearing that ping before picking up the two pieces. I suspect, if you could neutralize the heat treatment, then bend followed by re-heat treating, it could be done. For my project, I would buy the non HT aluminum, bend then heat treat to T6.
    Last edited by HighWing; 12-16-2016 at 06:12 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I have heard of guys over-bending the Grove landing gear in a hard landing. They sent it off to Grove and it was rebent to original shape. Very likely Grove anneals it, rebends it, then re-heat treats it. I would think the same could be done with the Grove aluminum tailwheel spring.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Very likely Grove anneals it, rebends it, then re-heat treats it.
    This is exactly what they do. I had a bent gear that I was going to use on the Mangy and this is what they quoted me to repair it. I decided to get a new, custom spring made from them instead.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Sort of along the same line.. I bought a plane that has the round tapered type landing gear legs. The gear was bent and restraightend when I got it. Apparently bending it past a certain point destroyed the heat treatment as it bent again soon after I purchased it. No hard landings, just a gradual sag is what I noticed. Ended up installing new legs. Maybe if the previous owner had reheat treated them they would have been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Sort of along the same line.. I bought a plane that has the round tapered type landing gear legs. The gear was bent and restraightend when I got it. Apparently bending it past a certain point destroyed the heat treatment as it bent again soon after I purchased it. No hard landings, just a gradual sag is what I noticed. Ended up installing new legs. Maybe if the previous owner had reheat treated them they would have been fine.
    If I had to guess, they were probably heated (with a torch) in order to bend them back, and then not re-heat treated. Cold bending won't diminish the hardness from heat treating and tempering, but it may actually increase the hardness, due to work-hardening.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime